Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual blower dust collector

Dual blower dust collector

I have the opportunity to purchase two 2hp blowers for pretty cheap. Not sure the impeller size, they look to be around 10-12”. My idea is to get a super dust deputy xl and then run a wye at the top going to each blower. The blowers would then each connect to their own filter. Am I dumb here? I read that placing them in a series is better, please explain why. Also, I just assumed two filters would be better, correct?

Following....

I would think that either two DC in series or in parallel will do better than a single DC. How much better? Not sure. I bought a digital anemometer that measures air speed. It was cheap (under $20). So, in theory, you could measure the air speed of a single 2 HP unit, two in series and two in parallel. The highest air speed should equate to the most CFM.

It seems that way to me as well. As I understand it two in series is more powerful but you run a greater risk of motor problems. I don’t see how two in parallel would cause any undo motor wear. They are basically working in conjunction to pull through one line. Maybe I’m missing something. Why isn’t this done more often?

Just to add, no these aren’t Harbor Freight blowers. They are American made

Maybe I'm also missing something, but to me it sounds like the two in parallel (wye to a single DD) would allow you to max out the potential flow in whatever diameter pipe you use for the mains. It should also mean that if one motor failed it would still move material, only a bit slower.

To keep things cheaper I wonder if I could vent both blowers to a single Wynn filter?

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dickason View Post
    To keep things cheaper I wonder if I could vent both blowers to a single Wynn filter?
    I would think you'd want separate filters, but that isn't based on anything other than a gut feeling. Just thinking about both applying pressure to the same filter.

I could be 100% wrong on that.

Yes you can run them in parallel.

Yes they can feed separate filters or one filter as long as the filters have the correct airflow capacity...........Regards, Rod.

I love it Rod. That’s the kind of advice I wanted. Let’s talk airflow. If I run a 6” main. Do you think a single 35a Wynn filter would suffice? How do I calculate this?

There was a heated thread some years ago about running multiple blowers. I believe there is limited benefit to running two blowers parallel but don't remember the details. Parallel blowers may increase cfm at low pressure but running them together may not increase their flow under pressure. To do that you need a larger diameter impeller rather than two smaller ones. The bang is better to split the runs so each blower gets a shorter run. Others should have more details. Dave

I went through al of these decisions when I was looking at running dual Ridgid shop vacs through a 2 1/2" system. I tried series through one Dust Deputy, and then two in parallel, each pulling through its own Dust Deputy, similar to the set up you can see on the Oneida website. I measured CFM results using a cheap anemometer. Probably not accurate results, however, good enough for comparison purposes. I found the series set up didn't really work well, but the parallel works great. Series increases ability to overcome static pressure, while parallel increases CFM. As they are shop vacs, the increase in power may not have been as profitable as it might be with a dust collector.
    Don't know if this has any value as input in your situation.
    Mike

What is the benefit of using two dust deputies in that setup?

If you put them in series, you will not move more air than one could if the duct were short: your advantage is that the flow will not drop off as quickly as you increase the flow resistance of the duct. If you put them in parallel, you will move more air when the flow resistance is low, but that flow will drop off more quickly with duct resistance. This second approach is likely better, but it depends on having big enough ducts.

If you have two blowers, one approach is to put one at each end of your shop, attached to the same ductwork. That way one of them is always fairly close to the tool in use, and the other one can help some. The advantage of two dust deputies would be to allow the DCs to be separated this way. If they are near one another, you might as well have one cyclone and one appropriately-sized filter. The major reason to divide them other than spatial separation would be to use equipment you already have.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schwabacher View Post
    If you have two blowers, one approach is to put one at each end of your shop, attached to the same ductwork. That way one of them is always fairly close to the tool in use, and the other one can help some.
    Wait, you mean they will run at the same time and pull against each other? I must be misunderstanding that.

I'd put them at the same location and in parallel. I think you'll have too many losses (friction-- so flow and pressure losses) running them in parallel-- that second blower has to pull everything through the first and I can't see that working all that great. Will two in series work better than a single? I'd bet so, but I'd also be willing to bet that the advantages of two in parallel will trump two in series any day for most practical uses.

You could wye the exhaust to a single filter, just make sure that you properly size the pipe (and filter) to allow for the flow so you don't cause too much back pressure of trying to cram all of the air flow in an undersized pipe. Wye-ing the intake is a no brainer, but that's pretty obvious I guess.
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer