Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dual blower dust collector

What is the FLA on the motors?
    What is your amp draw (using a clamp on metre) with Max open port and exhaust? (Blowers benchtest no filters)

What is the intake and exhaust diameter on each blower?

If you run them in series, they will just be helping each other, keeping their amps lowered.

No matter where you put them in parallel, with the system closed(all gates closed), they will be pulling on each other.

The dust deputy XL has a 6 inch in and out. Most 2 hp blower’s have a 4-6 inch in and out. Most 2 hp DC start losing efficiency at 20 ish feet. So, you might be able to get a 6-8 inch main trunk that runs 20 feet with 10 foot drops of flex pipe. You might be able to run two machines with 6 inch ports on a 8 inch main trunk with out over Amping the motors.

It is really a lot of bench testing. For sure you will get more CFM (with two blowers) but the dust deputy may be choking you with the 6 inch intake/exhaust. I actually had to choke my system to keep my FLA under the motors FLA.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Petersen View Post
    Wait, you mean they will run at the same time and pull against each other? I must be misunderstanding that.
    I mentioned the possibility of putting one DC at each end of a long run of duct, with drops to machines along the run. The flow would go to the main duct then split, with part of it going toward each DC. So yes, in that sense the DCs would pull against one another. It would be important that the drops be at least the diameter of the main duct, and it would even be reasonable in this configuration for drops to be bigger.

In general it makes more sense to put two DCs in parallel and treat them as one with regard to duct, cyclone, and filters. But if you have pairs of smaller DC equipment to use, and have a long run where the near machines have more flow than needed and far machines less than needed, dividing things could possibly make sense. Think of it as using one machine for one end of the shop and the other machine for the other, with the far machine in the role of helping out.

Selling what you have and buying what you need is less interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schwabacher View Post
    So yes, in that sense the DCs would pull against one another.
    I don't think the end result would be what you expect. The flow of air would not follow the shortest path to a DC, but instead one would rob from the other, and both would have less pull overall, along with "dead spots" where the air flow would slow to next to nothing in both directions. In addition, at least with my setup, the wyes and crimps would be facing the wrong way for half that, causing more issues than it would likely resolve.

Be far better off setting them up as two separate runs, just for the closest tools to each end, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Petersen View Post
    I don't think the end result would be what you expect. The flow of air would not follow the shortest path to a DC, but instead one would rob from the other, and both would have less pull overall, along with "dead spots" where the air flow would slow to next to nothing in both directions. In addition, at least with my setup, the wyes and crimps would be facing the wrong way for half that, causing more issues than it would likely resolve.

Be far better off setting them up as two separate runs, just for the closest tools to each end, IMHO.
    As long as the duct work is big enough to handle more volume, this would work, and fairly well. There is an extensive article or post somewhere on this very issue I read, and it was pretty convincing. The short version is that if the drop is equidistant from each end, then they are both pulling the same amount, potentially doubling the CFM that one would get with that length of duct (assuming both machines have identical stats). Now, assume the next drop is further from DC A, and closer to DC B. DC A gets lower CFM due to the increase in static resistance, while DC B gets more CFM due to the decrease in static resistance.
    Mike