Thread: Shop Fox W1852 and Grizzly G0766 -- twins separated at birth?

Shop Fox W1852 and Grizzly G0766 -- twins separated at birth?

I saw an Ebay ad for the Shop Fox W1852, and it's photo looked mighty familiar. Except for the price and the color scheme, it is the Grizzly G0766, as far as I can tell. The Shop Fox has grey legs, and the Grizzly has green. Everything else appears to be exactly the same, from the photos, and from comparing the specs.

But the grey legs must be very special, because they're asking $2298 (plus $199 shipping) for the Shop Fox ("new for 2018"), on Ebay. The Grizzly G0766 is $1795 (plus $169 shipping), from Grizzly. So, a $500+ premium for the Shop Fox, over the Grizzly.

Strange!

Robert

It has been my understanding that both companies are owned by Shiraz and the Grizzly line is sold direct whereas the Shop Fox brand is sold wholesale to dealers. I may be wrong on this as that understanding was formed years ago and I haven’t looked into it since.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Yes, they certainly look to be the same lathe. That grey paint must really cost a lot of $$$.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Marshall View Post
    But the grey legs must be very special, because they're asking $2298 (plus $199 shipping) for the Shop Fox ("new for 2018"), on Ebay. The Grizzly G0766 is $1795 (plus $169 shipping), from Grizzly. So, a $500+ premium for the Shop Fox, over the Grizzly.
    I know nothing about those two products but there is one thing besides pricing that might be considered even if the two are made in the same factory.

Consider the small metal lathes and milling machines that come from China. Two machines sold by different importers may have identical specs and appearance, but one can be made with different materials, to different tolerances, and with different attention to fit and finish. It might be impossible to tell by looking at them side by side.

As an example, a friend has bought several metal-cutting lathes. When he gets a new machine he disassembles it completely and deburrs, cleans, and lubricates. He said the cheaper machines needed a lot of work before he was satisfied. The Little Machine Shop owner said his higher-priced models are made and inspected to different specs than the cheaper machines made in the same factory.

The price difference of two wood lathes discussed here my well be related only to the paint color and name plate, and who knows, perhaps the more expensive one even made to looser specs, the price driven by profit motive. Hey, just buy both and compare!

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    It has been my understanding that both companies are owned by Shiraz and the Grizzly line is sold direct whereas the Shop Fox brand is sold wholesale to dealers. I may be wrong on this as that understanding was formed years ago and I haven’t looked into it since.
    Correct, and his brother founded BusyBee in Canada (I don't know if he still owns it)
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Checked the on line manual... Two year warranty. 8" tool rest to center distance. It seems to have the old banjo like the first g0766. Everything else seems to be the same specs.

The short banjo is a problem if it is so. Two year warranty is good.

C

That's a steal. It's $2640 on Amazon for the Shop Fox. It's possible that it's made to higher standards but I wouldn't count on it without proof. Both manuals are on-line and while the part numbers are different the numbers on the illustration are the same. For example they use the same bearings. The Grizzly could use low quality Chinese bearings while the Shop Fox could use ones made in Japan. Or they could be the same other than paint and count on people who don't know the difference paying more.