Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BRad point bits

WOW! What a remarkable tribute to Lee Valley. I remember reading a rave many years ago (Fine WW?) and - if I remember correctly - they were only slightly expensive. Now they seem outright expensive.

That said, I chose to buy a Harbor Freight set that goes up to 1" (maybe 20 total).* I don't use them often but I've never had a problem. But if I broke one or needed a different size, I'd probably use LV.

* I only buy optional tools at HF when they're on super sale, but it's worked out well for my limited usage.
    Doug, the "Wood Loon"
    Acton, MA

72, slow road cyclist, woodworking dabbler, tool junkie , and
    bonsai enthusiast.
    Now, if I could just stay focused longer than a few weeks...

Fuller made in USA bits from Tools for Working Wood. Sets and/or individual bits.

I have had a number of brands but the Colt ones are my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by joe maday View Post
    Fuller made in USA bits from Tools for Working Wood. Sets and/or individual bits.
    Joe

You can buy directly from WL Fuller also. They're a very good company to work with, especially if you need a one off, specialty bit, made to order.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Fuller taper drills are great too, use them more than any other bits.

Blog Entries
    I use the LV bits and they're fantastic.

I have a handful of Famag bits, I'd expect their brad points to be excellent as well. Has anyone used Star M, what's your impression?
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hobkirk View Post
    I chose to buy a Harbor Freight set that goes up to 1" (maybe 20 total).* I don't use them often but I've never had a problem. But if I broke one or needed a different size, I'd probably use LV.

* I only buy optional tools at HF when they're on super sale, but it's worked out well for my limited usage.
    And I think that you nailed it.... This gives you a bunch for cheap for occasional use, and the two that you use all the time, replace with higher quality. But when you need that one off you have it. If you will make use of them more regularly, buy the expensive set.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    And I think that you nailed it.... This gives you a bunch for cheap for occasional use, and the two that you use all the time, replace with higher quality. But when you need that one off you have it. If you will make use of them more regularly, buy the expensive set.
    Andrew

I have a few sets of WL Fuller Brad points, and they were $$$$, so I bought a set of those WoodRiver bradpoint bits from Woodcraft for just general use.
    I ended up tearing my drill apart and replacing the shaft bearings, and chuck because of the "wozzle" I got from the wood river bits. I never suspected the bits, but after getting everything back together with my drill press I just grabbed a normal jobber bit to see if would still wozzle. It ran straight and true. I put one of the WoodRiver bits, and back came the wozzle, so I tried a few more. After four or five bits I stopped. I never would have thought that a drill bit would be bent, especially a set, uniformally
    On the plus side I have a new Jacobs chuck installed, and finally fixed the power switch on my drill press. Saved me a couple hundred bucks buying a new drill press.
    On the negative side, I don't have a new drill press.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    WoodRiver bradpoint bits from Woodcraft for just general use I ended up tearing my drill apart and replacing the shaft bearings, and chuck because of the "wozzle" I got from the wood river bits. I never suspected the bits, but after getting everything back together with my drill press I just grabbed a normal jobber bit to see if would still wozzle. It ran straight and true. I put one of the WoodRiver bits, and back came the wozzle, so I tried a few more. After four
    So when new, you did NOT see them wobbling around, but, this was clearly visible after the fact? Or were you just not looking for it? Are you saying that they were bad out of the box or that they bent with use and that destroyed your drill press?

Regardless, that is terrible and I never would have suspected you would do that much damage.

Andrew
    They were bad out of the box. I never suspected the bits and went to tearing the drill press apart thinking that was the problem.
    I was wrong, it was the bit set.
    I should have just stuck a piece of drill rod into the chick and checked runout to start with.☺️

After burning through a lot of bits over the years, I try only to buy Fuller bits anymore. As folks have said, they are high quality, spendy, and made in the US of A.