Thread: Boxes for ceamation ashes

Boxes for ceamation ashes

I have spent the last month in Texas helping my daughter-in-law settle things after my son’s death. She is from Brazil and has a hard time understanding legal forms, but then don’t we all! She asked me to help her kids build a box for my son’s ashes. The selection of tools that were in the garage left much to be desired for a woodworker, so I used a hand saw and sharpened a couple of chisels and went to work.

The box is constructed with dove tails and the oldest child whacked the wood out after I cut the sides of the tails. His wife wanted “Jason is home” engraved on the box, but I didn’t have any tools that would work on oak, so I bent wire into the words, soldered and painted them black. All in all I think it came out fairly good. His wife showed the box to a friend and she asked me to build one for her sister’s ashes.

I carved a daisy from basswood I inlayed it in oak, trimmed it with cedar and stained it. The finish on both boxes is Danish oil.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Doug Duffield; 04-30-2018 at 6:53 PM. Reason: Clean up things
    Doug

I think your son would be pleased that you were able to do that for him, and that his children were able to help.

That's a beautiful tribute to your son Doug. I love that you and his children did it together, in his garage using some of his tools. I love the way you improvised the lettering. I do not think you could have made a more appropriate memorial with a shop full of the best tools on earth.

I'm deeply sorry for your loss.
    Fred

Thank you for your sympathy and comments. It was a good way to grieve the loss of our son and for the children also.
    Doug

Special ...... extra special !!!

Good job with deep meaning
    Bill D.
    FYI: Costco sells coffins and ash boxes/urns that might be a place to get ideas with no salesmen pressuring you.