Thread: Boxes for ceamation ashes

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Boxes for ceamation ashes

I have spent the last month in Texas helping my daughter-in-law settle things after my son’s death. She is from Brazil and has a hard time understanding legal forms, but then don’t we all! She asked me to help her kids build a box for my son’s ashes. The selection of tools that were in the garage left much to be desired for a woodworker, so I used a hand saw and sharpened a couple of chisels and went to work.

The box is constructed with dove tails and the oldest child whacked the wood out after I cut the sides of the tails. His wife wanted “Jason is home” engraved on the box, but I didn’t have any tools that would work on oak, so I bent wire into the words, soldered and painted them black. All in all I think it came out fairly good. His wife showed the box to a friend and she asked me to build one for her sister’s ashes.

I carved a daisy from basswood I inlayed it in oak, trimmed it with cedar and stained it. The finish on both boxes is Danish oil.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Doug Duffield; 04-30-2018 at 6:53 PM. Reason: Clean up things
    Doug