Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Passage Gate Longevity

"The next one I will be making will be clear fir. It will hold up fine ,oil it well ". I live in the Northwest and have used CVG Doug Fir(mostly old growth) for many projects over the last 40+ years. I can safely say that, regardless of the oil, Doug Fir is NOT a good outdoor wood.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Many good recommendations on outdoor specific joinery and end grain sealing.

I’d have no trouble going along with the client’s preference for (genuine) Mahogany, which is generally regarded as an outstanding timber for outdoor use.

i agree fir is not a good out door wood .is what it is . actually built an out door cabinet for a client with sugar pine .I complained to the client ,she set me straight "I want it out of sugar pine if it rots we'll build another"
    VG Fir chips and splinters ,actually find it to be a real stresser as a finish carpenter -let alone when building face frames and cabinet doors ,drawers .
    used teak a few years back on a deck railing - I was really surprised to see cracks .
    And Mahogany is wonderful inside and out .nice to work with .