Thread: Best place to look for an outboard tool rest.

Best place to look for an outboard tool rest.

Freestanding. I have been looking for the Delta one but they seem a little scarce.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cathey View Post
    Freestanding. I have been looking for the Delta one but they seem a little scarce.
    Make one? A friend made one by welding a pipe to a truck wheel. He used it to turn a bunch of large bowls outboard on his Delta. Or a truck brake drum is pretty heavy and could be weighted with concrete to make it even heavier.

Or check at the scrap yard - I have a grinder stand someone made by welding square tubing a 14" square piece of solid steel 1/5" thick. It weighs about 75 lbs and could easily be made into a very sturdy free-standing tool rest by adding a piece of pipe, a big nut, and a handle to tighten. I don't see where you give your location (are you in the witness protection program?) but if you live close you can come get it. I was just going to cut it apart and find some use for the steel but I don't need it.

JKJ

Powermatic sells one and so does Vicmarc. Look up their sites. They aren't cheap.

I have a friend in upstate NY selling one, if you're interested in an introduction let me know.20915616_10210496439472224_760739763012622798_n.jpg21016059_10210496442312295_8634506659531559356_o.jpg

Yes please and thank you

I was looking for a free standing tool rest for my Delta. They come up on Craig's list here in the Southeast PA Baltimore Area about twice a year. Some other stands that could be adapted, come up a little more frequently, There was a Delta on Lancaster PA CL last week but for $200. A few months back a Rockwell 46-525 with outboard stand and copy attachment was offerred for $600 as a package and it took a couple weeks to sell. I had just purchased the same lathe, much cheaper a month earlier and found a Delta stand for $100 on Baltimore CL a week or two before hand.

A word about using a rim, or truck brake disc, etc. Turning outboard requires standing close sometimes. too close to have an 18 inch diameter 9 inch high wheel rime blocking where you put your feet. You end up bending over the work and your low back will certainly tell you about it. Even the Delta stand with it's three legs can get in the way. So when making or adapting another stand, keep the ergonomics of how you stand in mind.

I built one using the wheel and didn't think it worked very well. To work well a free standing tool rest needs to be really heavy. I like the design of the Vicmarc because it attaches to the lathe making it very ridgid. I intend to build one of those one of these days. Actually sooner since I designed a piece while laying in bed this morning that will require an outboard rest.

This is a link I found last year on a homemade version and had a friend do the welding. I have a Jet 1642 like the guy who wrote this build article. But, I'm sure you could modify it for your lathe.

http://www.woodturnersresource.com/e...tboardRig.html

Ricc Havens
    Elkhart, IN

Quote Originally Posted by Ricc Havens View Post
    This is a link I found last year on a homemade version and had a friend do the welding. I have a Jet 1642 like the guy who wrote this build article. But, I'm sure you could modify it for your lathe.

http://www.woodturnersresource.com/e...tboardRig.html

Ricc Havens
    Elkhart, IN
    That's a nice one!

I agree. That's what a floor standing tool rest should be.