Thread: First box build

First box build

My wife asked me to build a small box to store our eldest son's baby teeth in (she is Chinese, go figure). I cheated a bit because the top and bottom are each just a solid piece of cherry with holes drilled in the bottom for the teeth. Still it was good practice doing inlay for the first time (purple heart) and installing the hardware.

I messed up the hinges at first, got the mortice depths correct but didn't set the hinges in deep enough so the box would not close all the way. Was a little bit tricky to fix since the new holes had to be so close to the existing ones.

Another defect is around the inlay work, if you look carefully some of the cross-grain cuts splintered out a little. Wasn't sure how to fix it so I just left it alone.
    Turned out alright in the end though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steven Mikes; 04-30-2018 at 1:55 PM.

Nice work Steven. Interesting use also.
    Jim

Well done! Boxes are fun to make. If you find in the future you need to adjust a hole, just spread some glue on a few wooden toothpicks and jam them into the existing hole nice and tight. When the glue dries, cut or snap off the toothpicks and drill the new hole.

Oh goodness, thank you Phil! I will use that trick next time.

Nice work. Interesting use...

I like it! Well done!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I think that looks great! And it will be a sight better than my first box.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Mikes View Post
    Oh goodness, thank you Phil! I will use that trick next time.
    And, if if the hole is bigger, you can use a dowel. I once broke a brass screw, so, I drilled it out, filled the hole with a dowel.

That is one really nice looking box.

When I am sitting around thinking "what should I do when I make my first box", inlay is not on the list. I have still not attempted inlay. Very nice!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Mikes View Post
    My wife asked me to build a small box to store our eldest son's baby teeth in (she is Chinese, go figure). I cheated a bit because the top and bottom are each just a solid piece of cherry with holes drilled in the bottom for the teeth. Still it was good practice doing inlay for the first time (purple heart) and installing the hardware.

I messed up the hinges at first, got the mortice depths correct but didn't set the hinges in deep enough so the box would not close all the way. Was a little bit tricky to fix since the new holes had to be so close to the existing ones.

Another defect is around the inlay work, if you look carefully some of the cross-grain cuts splintered out a little. Wasn't sure how to fix it so I just left it alone.
    Turned out alright in the end though.

Stephen,

Thanks much for posting a and sharing your pics. I don't have much to offer regarding construction/hand tool techniques. From my perspective, much more importantly, I think the objective of your project is absolutely fantastic!

I hate to sound like Methuselah (goodness knows I'm not the sharpest tool in the chest, and I'm absolutely not qualified to offer anyone advice), that said, as a father of 2 boys now in their 20s, - IMHO any woodworking project that connects you to your kids when they're small will only become increasingly precious to you as you get older.

Our youngest is now 24, 6'3", 220 pounds. One of my most prized possessions is a small box we built together when he was 5 – 6 as a Mother's Day present. I vividly remember how much Reece really enjoyed pounding the nails! Sorry way too much about me – back to the main point: your tooth box is awesome!

Best, Mike