Thread: Help with Burl identification

Help with Burl identification

Hello, I have been offered a large Burl. It is 85 miles away my wife’s brother doesn’t know what kind of wood it is I am thinking oak or maple. As we have plenty of that in Massachusetts. Lots of pine too. See photos.
    Thanks in advanance, Kevin
    C35B91CD-8894-463C-82F8-E4CCBB4D270C.jpeg 7587EBA1-2702-486C-8DF0-902E9080254E.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by kevin nee View Post
    Hello, I have been offered a large Burl. It is 85 miles away my wife’s brother doesn’t know what kind of wood it is I am thinking oak or maple. As we have plenty of that in Massachusetts. Lots of pine too.
    Any leaves coming out now for ID? Maybe compare the bark on a tree id website or book.

If the burl has had the bark missing for a long time the wood may be somewhat or significantly degraded. It might be useful to cut off the tree and perhaps cut into it to take a look before hauling it home.

JKJ

If I had to guess the bark looks like red oak but it's only a guess. Without a leaf or seeing what the wood looks like it's difficult.

I have no idea but have never seen a burl that big on a tree that small compared to the burl.
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Thanks, I know it is tough with cell phone photos and no leaves. I think it is oak too.
    i was just hoping someone could easily identify it. I am going to take a ride tomorrow
    cutting it and refusing it is not an option. Maybe someone will see an identifying trait
    before I leave tomorrow.

The visible grain lines and bark make it look like Oak to me-what kind is another story.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Quote Originally Posted by kevin nee View Post
    Thanks, I know it is tough with cell phone photos and no leaves. I think it is oak too.
    i was just hoping someone could easily identify it. I am going to take a ride tomorrow
    cutting it and refusing it is not an option. Maybe someone will see an identifying trait
    before I leave tomorrow.
    Then by all means, cut it and take it then take it apart when you get home and see if you have a prize or some nice fireweood. Get a chunk of the tree too, assuming it is coming down. Non-burled wood is far easier to ID from examining the ring cross section with a magnifier. If it is oak it will be obvious from the pores. If most of the trees around it are the same type, you might be able to pick up some old leaves from last year.

Curious about the scale of the photo - what diameter is the skinny little tree?

JKJ

looks like there should be a bunch of leaves on the ground at the base of the tree...to help ID it

Thanks again, it is idown and in the back of a pick up and the guy wants his bed back. With a little luck my truck is lower than his and we can slide it from one to the other. He says 500 lbs.

From the loss of bark above the burl on the tree, it appears to be dead. I would say it had to be a strong hard wood to be that straight with all that weight hanging on it. If it is oak, the burl will most likely have cracks looking at the smooth surface. Careful turning and strong epoxy will help.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

UPDATE: I went to look at this Burl. The owner had done some research on the Internet and heard that the going rate was $3.00 per pound. Seeing I was there I could have it for $300. It is red oak, it is big, nice day for a ride. I went home without the Burl.

I'd stay away from that burl - first pic kinda looks like an alien in the fetal position sticking out of that tree.