Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GFCI advice

I began my electrical apprenticeship in 1974. I quickly learned to hate GFI receptacles. (The "C" had not made it into the acronym at that time.) Along the way they improved the receptacles to the point today where, while I still have a poor relationship with them due to failure, I don't avoid them like the plague like I used to. Anywhere the code requires it, I will install them. But to this day I will never install them voluntarily.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I only had one problem with a variable speed scroll saw motor tripping the GFCI (an old GFCI) and I replaced it with a new one and the scroll saw does not trip that one. Think of the cost of installing GFCI as a form of insurance where you only have to make one payment on the insurance and you're protected for life.

Mike
    I've had the reverse experience with tripping a GFCI....I have a Jet 12/21 VS lathe - It wil trip the newer GFCI's every time I turn it on but a older GFCI tolerates the power and speed adjustments just fine. On the flip side, I have no problems w/ speed adjustments on the scroll saw and the newer GFCI's.

Jon, a lot of the GFCIs in homes were put there by either the original contractors or subsequent contractors or by a homeowner...and a lot of them are, shall we say...not "top shelf" components. I believe that accounts for at least some reasonable percentage of the lovely issues we all have faced in our homes with these things. At this point, I personally favor using GFCI breakers for such circuits just as AFCIs are usually implemented via the breaker for the rooms they are required for these days in code. I would truly hope that the breaker versions, given the cost, would have better performance and longevity than the typical GFCI outlets that get put into the front of a circuit for the same purpose. But that's me...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    I began my electrical apprenticeship in 1974. I quickly learned to hate GFI receptacles. (The "C" had not made it into the acronym at that time.) Along the way they improved the receptacles to the point today where, while I still have a poor relationship with them due to failure, I don't avoid them like the plague like I used to. Anywhere the code requires it, I will install them. But to this day I will never install them voluntarily.

I began my electrical career in 1967 and I agree with Julie 100%.....
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I couldn't agree more. Failure rate blindsided me with a recent project. I had 2 (two) brand new Smart Electrician GFCI's fail at the same time! They didn't last 1 day! My son thought we did something incorrect---we did---tried to save a buck. Went and swapped out the GFCI's and installed some Hubbell GFCI's---problem solved.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

A few bucks more, but I would consider a GFCI breaker.

Simpler and you can then use whatever receptacles, layout, and configuration you want and have the whole circuit protected... In my case it was a 2 pole 20amp GFCI breaker for a multiwire branch circuit... so effectively 2 x120v & 1 x 240v entire circuits protected by a single device.

I am not familiar with NEC but when I constructed our home on beginning 1990s I made all electrical installation with GFCI circuits, including my small workshop, of course: the light circuit as well the 117V and 230V power circuits - I never had a single problem at home except for the entrance doorbell (I replaced it by a battery operated one and never more I had a problem).

I strongly recommend them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndon Klassen View Post
    I have exactly zero GFCI protected circuits in my garage.
    Remember there was a time when GFCI protection did not exist.
    Yes, my house was built like that, doesn't mean it's still that way.

I'm very happy to spend $20 to save my life some day......................Rod.

P.S. I had a life saving moment with a GFCI about 20 years ago. I was using a large drill and dropped it, it fell a few feet.

I picked it up, and accidentally came into contact with the brush holder, the insulating cap had either been broken or came off with the impact. The shock was just enough to feel before the GFCI saved my bacon. The drill was destroyed and replaced..........Rod.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 05-02-2018 at 11:39 AM.

I began in 81, and wouldn't consider installing anything else in a conductive environment.........Rod.

My house came with GFCI protection for the garages. I've never had any issue with them, even running variable speed tools like the scroll saw and sanders. I wouldn't want a shop without them. Over the years I've replaced a small number of problematic GFCI units in other houses, but no issues here so far (12 year old house).

This is almost like a Saw Stop conversation, except the GFCIs are cheap and don't destroy anything when they save your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alvarez View Post
    My house came with GFCI protection for the garages. I've never had any issue with them, even running variable speed tools like the scroll saw and sanders. I wouldn't want a shop without them. Over the years I've replaced a small number of problematic GFCI units in other houses, but no issues here so far (12 year old house).

This is almost like a Saw Stop conversation, except the GFCIs are cheap and don't destroy anything when they save your life.
    Carlos, I’m buying a SawStop.

After 25 years with my Powermatic, with no major injuries, as a physician I see too many power tool injuries on a daily basis to ignore. Many gruesome. I get it that most folks with safe work habits will never get a serious cut, but since I need my hands to perform my job I’ve finally decided to hedge my bets. Plus, with new shop and finally more room, I’m able to keep my PM66 for dados.

My OP question was a result of my bad personal experience w GFCI. I see now that some others have had similar experiences (and some not) and understand it might simply be a result of bad parts or wiring. I have no plans to build anything other than a safe shop, including electrical.

If you run the Saw Stop on an outlet with a GFCI, you'll actually become immortal. Most people don't know that.

I recall that one of the GFCIs I had to replace had come from Harbor Freight. Hmmmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by Osvaldo Cristo View Post
    I am not familiar with NEC but when I constructed our home on beginning 1990s I made all electrical installation with GFCI circuits, including my small workshop, of course: the light circuit as well the 117V and 230V power circuits - I never had a single problem at home except for the entrance doorbell (I replaced it by a battery operated one and never more I had a problem).

I strongly recommend them.
    Back in the 70's when GFI receptacles had a life span of maybe days to months, the GFI breakers were pretty reliable. The contractors I worked for quickly abandoned GFI receptacles and went to GFI breakers. Even though wiring the breakers back to the panel cost a bit more (code requires conduit throughout), they saved money not having to make call backs.

FWIW my sewage extractor, lathe, and radon fan will not work on GFCI.

Julie... is that conduit thing a local rule? My new house (2006) and my old house (1983) had GFCI breakers and no conduit. I know the new one passed inspection that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    FWIW my sewage extractor, lathe, and radon fan will not work on GFCI.

Julie... is that conduit thing a local rule? My new house (2006) and my old house (1983) had GFCI breakers and no conduit. I know the new one passed inspection that way.
    Yes. In Chicago and most of the surrounding suburbs, conduit is required for all electrical installations. I think NYC also requires conduit but, like Chicago, the further away you get from there, the less likely they are to require conduit.