Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yard cart or Wheelbarrow

Yard cart or Wheelbarrow

My 30 year old Jackson wheelbarrow just gave out. Wood handle rotted. Replacement handle an option but.........

Was looking at this two wheel model at Ace Hardware. Priced right.
    http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...MaAmIXEALw_wcB
    pACE3-14578294enh-z7.jpg
    Then I ran across this. Have seen them before but never used one. May be better for my needs vs a wheelbarrow, I used my wheelbarrow for mulch, picking up sticks and limbs,
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sun-Joe-S...-Cart/51202595
    61yUpmqfiJL._SL1170_.jpg
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Yard cart looks like it has more room than a wheelbarrow that carries more weight. Leaves vs rocks.

Years ago I bought a large Garden Way cart and found it to be unwieldy and I now rely on wheelbarrows and garden wagons. The dual wheel wheelbarrows have one bad tendency, the outboard side of the wheels are unsupported thus making the axle subject to flexing and even bending due to maximum load such as topped up with wet concrete. A single wheel wheelbarrow is better in my view for very heavy loads but a dual wb will be just fine for ordinary use.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    My 30 year old Jackson wheelbarrow just gave out. Wood handle rotted. ...I used my wheelbarrow for mulch, picking up sticks and limbs
    I think the yard cart would be more useful for your mulch, stick, and limbs. I use the wheelbarrow for mixing concrete, carrying rocks, dirt, and heavy (wet) manure. (BTW, the two wheel wheelbarrow is wonderful - I keep three here. The single wheel wheelbarrow is better for heavy loads on a sideways slope.)

I'd almost drive up after your old wheelbarrow when you discard it - they don't make 'em like that any more. As long as it was not rusted out I'll bet some some cheap, er, thrifty farmer would love it. Might be best to make a handle and keep it and get the cart too. I cut and dry hickory to make handles for shovels and things.

I found that once the film finish degrades wood handles last a lot longer if I occasionally brush on some boiled linseed oil.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I think the yard cart would be more useful for your mulch, stick, and limbs. I use the wheelbarrow for mixing concrete, carrying rocks, dirt, and heavy (wet) manure. (BTW, the two wheel wheelbarrow is wonderful - I keep three here. The single wheel wheelbarrow is better for heavy loads on a sideways slope.)

I'd almost drive up after your old wheelbarrow when you discard it - they don't make 'em like that any more. As long as it was not rusted out I'll bet some some cheap, er, thrifty farmer would love it. Might be best to make a handle and keep it and get the cart too. I cut and dry hickory to make handles for shovels and things.

I found that once the film finish degrades wood handles last a lot longer if I occasionally brush on some boiled linseed oil.

JKJ

I may replace the handles and get a yard cart too.
    I lost the front metal bracket that hold the handles together. Has to be under a pile of old mulch I dumped yesterday.
    The old Jackson wheelbarrow lasted outdoors 365 days a year for 30 years. tray is rusted but solid.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

LOML bought one of these. I was profoundly skeptical, but we've used it for four years now and it has turned out to be very robust. The big bicycle wheels make it much easier to roll around our meadow and such than a wheelbarrow. I'm not sure I'd fill it up with concrete, but I've piled lots of logs into it and pretty well filled it with dirt and it has been fine. It holds a lot more material than my wheelbarrows making it more useful for general yard work.
    71Zae-XD7jL._SL1500_.jpg

or you could build one...
    cart 1.jpgcart 2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    or you could build one...
    That looks too nice to leave out in the weather!

Replacement parts for Jackson wheelbarrows are available.

My former neighbor had a yard cart similar to the one pictured and they really liked it a lot. It seemed more stable than a wheel barrow for general gardening work, too. Given your stated use, the yard cart would be my choice over the wheel barrow for now; but there may be tasks that come where a wheel barrow is a better choice, so you may need one of those at some point, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have had both and they each have their place. Most everything the cart can do the wheelbarrow can do also. But when it comes to heavy lifting and concrete a cart is 2nd best. And if your land is significantly unlevel a wheelbarrow maneuvers easier up and down and around stuff. Heck, get both.😇

You don't mention your terrain. That makes all the difference on how easy your chores will be. If you have rocky or hilly terrain, you now have 2 wheels to navigate over the bumps and dips.

We have been using a poly/plastic wheelbarrow for the past 8 years and absolutely LOVE one feature it has. It has "Total Control" handles. Instead of straight wood/metal handles, there are loops on the ends. These loops make it so easy to dump, as well as change holding positions when you are navigating the wheelbarrow around obstacles. We were skeptical of the poly/plastic tub, but we treat it as plastic - meaning, we don't toss metal tools into the tub, or toss big hunks of wood in the tub. We set heavy items into the tub so we don't crack the plastic. So far, it has held up 8 seasons out in the weather and no signs of cracking. While they do make steel tubs with Total Control handles, the poly/plastic tubs are so much lighter - which makes it easier to work outside longer.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Repair and update the one you have Ray. Folks are right, they don't make them like they used to. Most now are polyethylene or polypropylene tubs which flex and are subject to cracking in really cold weather. As for handles, my 29 year old deep tub steel wheelbarrow is still going strong. John's right, applications of BLO will keep the handles supple and prevent rot. In fact, for all of my outdoor tool handles, the first thing I did when buying a new one was sand off the factory lacquer/varnish and treat with 2-4 coats of BLO. It feels better in the hand when used and is less likely to raise blisters. Granddad taught Dad and Dad taught me.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

for light loads on smooth level terrain, a single wheel barrow is great. For heavy loads, they are a pain to keep them from tipping over and spilling. Same for moderate loads on hills, up down or side ways. We had two garden carts with the 2 big bicycle tire wheels. Worked very well on bumpy terrain and for heavy loads. But they were not built heavy enough to hitch behind a lawn tractor. We got a plastic tub two wheel cart at Sam's club two years ago. the wheels are wide and sturdy. The rear can be converted from a wheel barrow to a tow behind and it has a dump bed. for the price it is great. ($129.00) We can tow it behind the 4 wheeler or the lawn tractor and use it as a wheel barrow. It handles bumpy terrain just fine. For heavier work, I have a small 40 x 48 trailer that came from Harbor freight 25 years ago. It has 4.8 x 8 tires capable of some light road hauling and I can hook it up behind the pick up, the 4 wheeler or the lawn tractor. It is light enough to haul behind a sub compact car. We have had a series of those lawn carts sold at the box stores with the light sheet metal dump boxes. They don't hold much light material, and can';t handle much heavy material. Went through three of them in about 9 years. We also have a light weight 4 x 6 trailer with an aluminum frame and pressure treated board deck and sides. It is also capable of towing on the road, but I put wide golf cart tires on it so it does not leave ruts in the lawn when the ground is soft.

My Mrs. claims I collect trailers. And between the "lawn carts" and the big heavy trailers, we do have 9. A stock trailer, a flat bed for hauling hay and equipment and the smaller ones for utility work around the house and barn. We haul tractors, animals, gravel, hay, fire wood, branches clippings, sand soil, manure etc. I'd recommend getting one just a size larger than you think you will need. Also try the thing before you buy it. Some wheel barrows are made for very small people. I am barely 6 ft on a good day with longer than average arms and some have handles that are just too low to the ground, or have support bars that interfere with taking a normal stride when pushing it. Nothing worse than being forced to take baby steps when pushing a load.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    My Mrs. claims I collect trailers. ... we do have 9....
    I personally don't think a reasonable person can have too many trailers. Unless, perhaps, they live in an apartment. Nine here too - just got a second gooseneck so one has a lower bed and one is flat above the tires for loading hay with a grapple. I don't think My Lovely Bride even knows how many trailers we have since she seldom cruises the property. What I really need now is a nice little trackhoe and a cute little trailer just for it...

JKJ