Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BarbQ season coming

BarbQ season coming

I have decided to get more into grilling. Looking at some of the books on the newsstand it appears that many of the recipes suggest pre-cooking things like ribs or brats or chicken breasts prior to grilling.

Questions.....

Do you pre-cook ribs before grilling?

Do you use a rack to stand ribs on edge to grille them?

Have you done a beer can chicken on the grille?

Any secret rubs of seasoning you like?

Thanks.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    I have decided to get more into grilling. Looking at some of the books on the newsstand it appears that many of the recipes suggest pre-cooking things like ribs or brats or chicken breasts prior to grilling.

Questions.....

Do you pre-cook ribs before grilling?

Do you use a rack to stand ribs on edge to grille them?

Have you done a beer can chicken on the grille?

Any secret rubs of seasoning you like?

Thanks.
    Seasoning I use this on most all meats.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/McCormick...&wl13=&veh=sem

Ribs I do use a rib rack. Full cook on the grill.
    https://www.amazon.com/Weber-6605-Or.../dp/B00FLRB4OI

I have done beer can chicken. I don't care for the beer taste. I no longer use the can but a stand with juice.
    Something like this ( The one I have is cheaper made )
    https://www.amazon.com/Beer-Can-Roas...+chicken&psc=1

Here is a good grilling book for the beginner. Lot of good basic recipes.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0544952375/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 04-29-2018 at 7:09 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Chicken breasts and pork chops I dry rub with Famous Dave's Rib Rub and Lawrys. I grill them slow on low heat to 165. It's amazing how much better the moisture retention is this way.

Propane grill, two burners - front and back.

Do you pre-cook ribs before grilling? Not ribs. Chicken pieces, yes. Sausage , yes - helps keep them from splitting.

Do you use a rack to stand ribs on edge to grille them? No. Wrap in aluminum foil, bone side down, on indirect heat around 250 F for about 4 hours.

Have you done a beer can chicken on the grille? No. Dont think it adds much to it. Just a convenient way to hold the chicken up. But, its much better to do the chicken in pieces so you have more control. When done on the grill, put the chicken pieces in a pot with some water, on the grill. The steam will keep the chicken moist and not dry as it is almost sure to be.

Any secret rubs of seasoning you like? 21-gun seasoning from Trader Joes for steak, burgers. Local BBQ restaurant mixes for ribs. We have a ton of BBQ restaurants here in KC, and a zillion choices for rubs and sauces. Sometimes I add a chunk or two of cherry or maple from the scrap bucket.
    Last edited by Stan Calow; 04-29-2018 at 8:01 PM.

We grill at least once a week on average even in the dead of winter. Summer as much as several times. I LOVE my Big Green Egg (and my moms Kamodo Joe—don’t care what color.)

Google spatchcock chicken, buy yourself a good remote-read thermometer from Theroworks and don’t ever look back. We average every other week for them. Save the backs and other bones left after the cook in a bag in the freezer and make brothe when you get enough. I pull the chicken that’s left and use it for salads or sometimes Asian-inspired noodle bowls with the broth for lunch.

I tried a lot of rubs before finding one I kind of liked but was too salty. I diluted with more of the other ingredients until it tasted right. When it was nearly gone I replicated and recorded the quantities so now I can make more.

For ribs, I like the 3-2-1 method. This is controversial but I like them. Except increasingly I can’t eat higher fat meats and at this point I’d rather make the chicken.

Another favorite for us is cedar plank salmon. Just salt and peppered, cooked at about 300 with some cherry chips for more smoke. Again, leftovers for salads.

We also do “shrimp fajitas” just grilling the peppers and onions in a basket seasoned with a “Mexican” seasoning from Mrs Dash. Then we grill the shrimp with the same seasoning on skewers, and finally warm the tortillas on the grill. Makes a healthy and very flavorful meal that takes very little work.

I use a big green egg, but also have a gas grill (Broilmaster) and a Weber kettle.

Ribs? Dry rub with a sweet pork seasoning, normally we just make our own. smoke/slow cook at 275-300 for an hour, then wrap in foil with a honey, mustard, tiger sauce and a little white wine then wrap. back on grill for an hour. unwrap, bbq sauce then back on grill for halff hour or so.

Chicken wings on gas grill, just salt and pepper, then bring inside and dip in various homemade dipping sauces.

Turkey on a grill is excellent.

Pork butts, briskets, homemade pizzas (including dough) all go on BGE
    Vortex! What Vortex?

We do a lot of beer can chicken on the grill.... turns out great every time... just remember to put the chicken on the side of the grill that has no flame....

Most rib enthusiasts will probable cringe at this ...but I found a recipe for ribs in a newspaper about 20-25 years ago that was taken from a restaurant in the Dominican Republic called...I think.. The Best Little Boar House. They are done in the oven (can also be done on the grill) for about 2-2 1/5 hours using a method that makes them fall off the bone when done and VERY tasty... a simple recipe for the sauce as well... have never done them any other way since.. people love them... If anyone's interested I suppose I could upload the recipe to this thread...
    Last edited by Barry McFadden; 04-29-2018 at 10:13 PM.

We grill on a little larger scale. Three weeks ago, did a whole hog (minus head) which dressed weighed a little over 100#. Started her on gas (first two hours @ 275) then changed over to charcoal. Started meat side down , and turned it over at five hours.Then started mopping with sauce. Couple hours later, she was done. Served straight form the grill. That's why we call them "pig pickn's. Sauce was a commercial one called Georges. Served with slaw, boiled potatoes, and hush puppies. Nannar puddin for dessert, along with southern comfort to drink. FYI, southern comfort is sweet iced tea. Grill is made from a 275 gallon oil barrel, that is mounted on a trailer. I have a second grill that we use for chickens. The racks have fencing on them. Put all the chickens on at one time, tie the two racks together, and when it's time to turn them, just turn all at one time

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post

We also do “shrimp fajitas” just grilling the peppers and onions in a basket seasoned with a “Mexican” seasoning from Mrs Dash. Then we grill the shrimp with the same seasoning on skewers, and finally warm the tortillas on the grill. Makes a healthy and very flavorful meal that takes very little work.
    May have to give the shrimp fajitas a try.
    What size shrimp do you use?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Uhh...Not sure we really pay attention to the marked size rather than just looking at the size. We usually plan for 3 per tortilla and buy the fajita-size tortillas if that give you a rough idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Uhh...Not sure we really pay attention to the marked size rather than just looking at the size. We usually plan for 3 per tortilla and buy the fajita-size tortillas if that give you a rough idea.

Thanks for the info.
    - Rick Dale

I do a lot of bbq. I smoke something at least once a week. Smoking is going to give you much better results than grilling alone, however, it will also take more planning ahead. I have a Masterbuilt electric smoker and that is about as easy as smoking gets. Almost any rub is good, but I especially like the Cabella's or Weber rubs. One of my favorite things to cook is whole chicken. I rub the thing down with a bunch of rub, let it set over night, then smoke it for about 3 hours or until it is 175 degrees in the breast. I then put it under the broiler in the oven to make the skin crispy. That is about as good as chicken gets.

Hi, we BBQ year round, even when it's -30 out.

For ribs and pork hocks, we cook them in the oven in a covered casserole dish with some cider and onions.

Once cooked, they get transferred to the grille to crisp the exterior and caramelize the sauce.

for chicken, we often do jerk, and it's grilled only using indirect heat. Pork chops and sausages same thing.............Regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    My son got a Traeger pellet grill last year and really likes it but I haven't actually seen it work. I see them at my local ACE hardware and am tempted. Anyone here BBQ with a pellet grill?
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    My son got a Traeger pellet grill last year and really likes it but I haven't actually seen it work. I see them at my local ACE hardware and am tempted. Anyone here BBQ with a pellet grill?
    I have a friend that does Traeger a bunch, and he convinced me to get one. I used it a few times and was totally unimpressed. It did steaks OK, burgers were pretty good, and chicken was dried out. I returned it to Costco. A year later, I ate dinner at my sister's house and they had a BGE and the food was great. I bought a black egg and have loved it. I enjoy cooking turkey on it the most, but also do everything else on it. The smokey flavor is great. I use leftover hardwood scaps from my shop, but also have a bunch of cedar off-cuts that give a wonderful flavor.

What is funny, is that what I cook most, chicken breasts, I find cook best on a gas grill. I cook thick ones, doing three minutes on a side then rotating them. After several times, when the breast is not soft any more, I split them down the middle. The inside is still raw at that point, so I put the cut side down for another 2-3 minutes. They are fully cooked at that point. This gives a very moist meal that is fully cooked. Every time I just grill the breast to an internal temp of 165 it is dry. Splitting them down the middle, butterfly style, cooks the inside quicker and retains the moisture. Just did four big breasts yesterday and they were great.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck