Thread: Best way to run a Chinese laser from Windows 10/Illustrator CC

Best way to run a Chinese laser from Windows 10/Illustrator CC

I have an 80W Chinese laser that I've been running for about 6 years off of an ancient Dell Optiplex using CorelDraw 12 with the RDCAM/Laserworks plug-in. I bought the laser used and that was it's setup and so it's all I've ever known. The Optiplex just died so I'm building a new controller PC to run the laser. I do all of my design work in Illustrator so I always had to export drawings in to Illustrator 8 and then import into CorelDraw in order to cut. I don't want to do that any more.

What I want to build is a Win 10 machine with Illustrator CC and whatever laser control software makes sense, preferably as a plug-in to Illustrator. I know RDCAM/Laserworks really well and so I'm tempted to stick with it, but I can't get it to install on on my Windows 10 machine and the plug-in to Illustrator doesn't work either.

When I run the RDCAM 6.0.45 install, it completes and says it was successful, but when I try to run Laserworks, I get this error:

2018-04-29 13_07_46-Start.png

The Illustrator plug-in installation also appears to run successfully, but when I open Illustrator, I get this error:

2018-04-29 13_23_06-Start.jpg

So...

If there is a straight-forward way to get Win10/Illustrator/RDCAM/Laserworks stack to work, then I'm all for it.

If it's not possible or if there's a clearly better software stack choice, then I'm all for that.

Any advice?

Thanks!
    Bob Crimmins
    -------------------
    OLT CNC - 64amp Plasma
    Shenhui CNC - 80 watt Co2 (Up From the Ashes)

Windows 7 Pro and after its running like it should, Automatic Upgrades off.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Windows 7 Pro and after its running like it should, Automatic Upgrades off.
    Thanks, Bill. Just to clarify, are you saying that you are running Illustrator with RDCAM on Windows 7 without a problem?
    Bob Crimmins
    -------------------
    OLT CNC - 64amp Plasma
    Shenhui CNC - 80 watt Co2 (Up From the Ashes)

Your controller may be too old but you might download and try the 30 day free trial of LightBurn. The software works well for many things. Just keep in mind it is still very "beta" in many respects. You get 30 days to see if it will me your needs in its current form.
    Last edited by Doug Fisher; 04-29-2018 at 10:44 PM.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

Blog Entries
    What model controller do you have? You can get various version of RDworks that will work with Illustrator at their Chinese site, or the FB RDworks Community Support if you want a US site. I'd go with 8.01.17 as first try.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

My Triumph (3-1/2 years) came with PHCad/LaserSoft software, and they've since produced about 5 more updates. I've tried every one, but I still use the original...
    I still use Corel x3 and x4, I've tried my BIL's x6, it does nothing extra for me...
    Gravostyle is up to at least a version 8, I have the bargain-basement 7 version, but my favorite is 5.3..
    As for Corel Trace and Gravostyle's vector program, when it comes to creating toolpath vectors from art, my 1991 and 1995 versions of Casmate put them both to shame...

The reason I keep using the older stuff, is simply because I know exactly how they work and what to expect, and when trying to keep up with my customers, knowing what to expect can save hours a day in dealing with "the unexpected"...

I mention all this because: "I know RDCAM/Laserworks really well and so I'm tempted to stick with it..." --

There is very much to be said for knowing anything 'really well'. Makes life much easier.

Computers, on the other hand...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Mentioning computers...... And Windows 10 (guess I should put on the thread about Fibers crashing. I delayed my updates a while back. At the same time, I turned my settings to Metered Internet.

So far NO UPDATES. One is pending but won't download because I have Metered Internet. (which is true btw.)
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Crimmins View Post
    Thanks, Bill. Just to clarify, are you saying that you are running Illustrator with RDCAM on Windows 7 without a problem?
    No I do not run Illustrator, but get rid of Windows 10 there are a few people running without issues but running our machines is more important than the forced upgrades with W10.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

+1 for Lightburn. Technically it still is in beta but it is more polished than RDWorks. There is a constant stream of new features and bug fixes. The developer is very responsive. There is a Corel macro for Lightburn that sends just the selected part of the CD file to LB. Quite handy.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.