Thread: Source for 16/4 white oak?

Source for 16/4 white oak?

I’m looking for a source for 16/4 white oak and would very much appreciate any recommendations on where I might find some. I’m located near Syracuse, NY so anywhere roughly nearby is preferred. Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries
    Where is nearby? You will find it in the Houston area.

Try Clark's Hardwood Lumber and Houston Hardood Lumber.

A trip to either place is like going to a candy store.

Maybe Maple Leaf Hardwoods? They are in PA http://www.curlymaple.com/default.asp

Blog Entries
    Board and beam in NJ maybe.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Do a google search for "sawmills near Syracuse NY" There were quite a few hits when I did that search.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks all! The problem isn’t finding a good lumberyard or sawmill, it’s finding white oak that is 16/4 thick in the rough or approximately 4” x 4”. Looking for 36” sections or 9-10’ lengths.

Check Lakeshore hardwoods in Mexico, NY. Call or email Brian, the proprietor. He ether has or can get most anything, or can happily send you in the right direction. I am about 40 minutes away and have been there mant times. You certainly want properly dried material.
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

Quote Originally Posted by John Pennisi View Post
    Thanks all! The problem isn’t finding a good lumberyard or sawmill, it’s finding white oak that is 16/4 thick in the rough or approximately 4” x 4”. Looking for 36” sections or 9-10’ lengths.
    Green or dry? If dry, how dry? Might depend on the intended use.

Green would be a lot cheaper. Anyone with a sawmill can do it if they have the logs. I have a bunch of white oak logs and plan to quarter saw 16/4 and 20/4 white oak in a few weeks. I'm using it for steps outdoors so for me wet is fine.

If you can use green, maybe check the listing on the WoodMizer web site for bandsaw mill owners in your area.

Dry 16/4 white oak is going to be very difficult to source. I have some in stock but it may have some internal honeycomb. What is it’s intended use?