Thread: How to Cut or Rout this Groove?

How to Cut or Rout this Groove?

I am a flutemaker and am starting working on a new flute(new to me that is). I already see that I need some how to hold a somewhat irregular shaped flute so that I can rout about a approx. 2" long groove with a straight bit..Ideally an inexpensive milling would be the set up...I don't think is such a thing as an inexpensive one....I thought about using my drill press but I wonder if that would damage the bearings on it.

The flute would be approx. 1 1/4" with some taper to it. As seen in the pic there are actually 2 steps to making this...I would have to rout or mill the longer wider groove and then rout the smaller one.Then I would have to drill the two small holes and then do some file work to make them square and then some work making a ramp on the inside of the square holes but i can do that part with small files....All this is the sound mechanism to this flute. I need to be able to "see" what I am doing as I do it so a router table isnt the way I want to go.

http://www.secondvoiceflutes.co.uk/pages/fipples.html

I do have a dremel and a foredom tool that I bought 30 yrs ago that is still good but I would have to make some kind of jig to make them work.

http://www.ottofrei.com/Foredom-K.52...YaAiIHEALw_wcB

I would probably need a milling machine or cross slide vice depending on which way I went with this. Im not going to be mass producing these flutes but would want a decent set up.The one I am working on now has had most of this work done with a drill press,sharp knife and needle files but it is sort of rough....be a lot cleaner/neater with a better process.

Any help is appreciated.Thanks in advance!!!

How about... Make a U-channel which the flute fits in -- screwed-together plywood or other scrap. The flute fits inside loosely. Then you add parts to capture it firmly -- wedges, shims, clamps, and the like. Eventually you get a flute blank held firmly in the U-channel, with the axis of the flute parallel to the outside walls of the u-channel. A router with an edge guide will cut that groove. No need for a milling machine.

You don't mention the succeeding operations in building the flute, but you might keep the U-channel around. Milling is much easier when you've established straight reference planes around the irregular workpiece.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 04-29-2018 at 10:47 AM.

Blog Entries
    If you know any local machine shops or retired guys with a Bridgeport milling machine, what you want to do is a piece of cake on a Bridgeport. You might even contact a local Tech school as they often have milling machines and you could use their machines after working hours. There is a garage close to me that has a Bridgeport mill and he lets me use it when I need precise cuts that I need to see what I'm doing. I always make sure I clean up not only my mess but part of his if there is any when I use his machine.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I'm not an instrument maker but since there are only going to be a few I would use a router plane, carving gouge, chisel and the drills and files you've used.

A drill press has sturdy enough bearings but the side loads will cause the chuck to drop off the spindle taper.

You can get mini mills from places like Little Machine Shop or Grizzly for under a grand. Maybe less for a used one in your area.

https://littlemachineshop.com/default.php

Make a sliding box to hold your flute. Buy an arbor and get a 2" slitting saw blade...
    Look on E-bay for slitting blade. Put the arbor in your drill press and slide the flute.
    This will not hurt your drill press.

Are you turning/ boring the flute on a lathe? If so, you may be able to use the lathe index plate to lock the flute and jig a router or your foredom tool to cut the groove.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    Are you turning/ boring the flute on a lathe? If so, you may be able to use the lathe index plate to lock the flute and jig a router or your foredom tool to cut the groove.
    I am boring my flutes.I may do this or one of the other ideas....A lot of good ideas ..Thanks Guys!!!!!! If you see smoke toward North Carolina its me thinking !!!