Thread: Extension Cord for 5hp Saw - 10/3 OK? 12/3 ok?

Extension Cord for 5hp Saw - 10/3 OK? 12/3 ok?

I'm currently using a 12awg extension cord with a 3 prong dryer male plug on one end and a 6-15 15 amp female on the other. My 3hp jointer and 3 hp unisaw all had 6-15p male plugs. Been 2 years that way no problems. I do have to unplug to do laundry but it's a minor hassle.

Now....I'm upgrading to a used 5hp single phase sawstop. Tag on motor says 19.7amps and came with about 100' of 10awg wire, no plug.

I need to somehow plug this into my dryer outlet.

I was going to put a 6-20 female plug on the 12awg extension cord and then 6-20 male plugs on the 3hp jointer and 5hp saw and call it a day. Will this work?

I've been reading differing information. Some stating that the 5hp sawstop needs 10awg wire. Is it bad if it's 10awg from the saw to a 12awg extension cord that's about 20ft long plugging into the dryer outlet?

I plan to run a couple 220 outlets but no telling when.

I've also made a long 10awg dedicated cord that's wired to a VFD that's mounted on a 3 phase 5hp older powermatic planer and haven't had any issues.

As long as the dryer outlet is rated for 30 amps minimum, just put a matching plug on the 10 gage cord on the saw. You should not be using a 12 gage extension cord for that machine. If you need to use an extension, buy some 10 gage rubber coated cable at the 'borg and appropriate terminations.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    As long as the dryer outlet is rated for 30 amps minimum, just put a matching plug on the 10 gage cord on the saw. You should not be using a 12 gage extension cord for that machine. If you need to use an extension, buy some 10 gage rubber coated cable at the 'borg and appropriate terminations.
    What Jim said....
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    It's a 30 amp.

I figured this would be the faster option, putting a 3 prong on the 10 awg saw cord. It would mean I can't hop from saw to jointer simply unplugging the extension cord, I'll have reach behind the dryer. Not end of the world. I should make a junction box on for there where I can plug them in.

When I was renting I mounted breaker box on a piece of plywood. It had a short cord plugged into the dryer outlet then a dryer outlet and few 120 and 240 lines out. I just screwed the ply to the wall and took it with me when we bought our house.
    Bill D

I'd use (I mean, I have one and am actually using) 10 awg for the sawstop -- and I wouldn't do an extension cord; just replace the cord with a longer one.

Now that being said, the 5hp motor in the sawstop is more a "5" hp motor with scare quotes. It'd almost certainly be fine with a 12 gauge cord.

Patrick

10/3 SOOW cord is what you want. Even if you replace the current cord to make it longer.
    Look at the SouthWire website. It has all the relevant tables for multi strand conductor ampacity/length.

Don't drop down an AWG size with an extension cord. If anything go the opposite direction. A 10AWG equipment cord, plugged into a 12AWG extension cord, isn't where you want to be. 10awg to 10awg, or 10awg to 8awg.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Thanks guys. I stayed with 10awg and just added a 3 pron 10-30 dryer cable to it. I'd like to make a duel dryer plug splitter box thing. So I can plug that into the wall and then the dryer into one outlet and tool I'm using in the other. Never would I use both tool and dryer at same time. It would just make doing laundry easier and the fiance not getting on me to swap cords again.

Really need to get my dad over (general contractor) and wire me a quad 20/30 breaker and a couple outlet.