Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need your help with a "Donor Wall" project!

Need your help with a "Donor Wall" project!

Hi ALL
    I’ve been asked to participate in a major project that’ll require creative, unorthodox, out-of-the-box thinkin’; where better to turn than SMC! I am working with an artist-type guy who’s been asked to design, create ‘n install a “donor recognition wall” for a local Foundation. I’ll describe the proposed concept, best I can.

Individual custom made wooden “plaques” of ‘bout 8 or 10 different sizes will be engraved with donors’ names; which is my part of this guy’s project. (‘bout 206 plaques; sizes ranging from 4” x 4” up to ‘bout 12” x 16”.)
    These plaques are to be mounted to a large backing that’ll hang on the wall. At this point, he’s considering sheets of plywood - covered/surfaced with thin, burnished bronze sheeting. (Someone suggested we look into MDF material, ‘stead? - any thoughts ‘bout this, or alternatives to plywood you’d suggest?)
    First, two points: He wants these plaques to be hung, projecting out from the wall at different dimensional levels, ‘stead of all flat to the wall. Second, and this is the stickler”! - he doesn’t want anything showing on the plaque fronts. (as with the use of metal stand-offs or such.)

All I can think is that he use various length blind mount studs projecting from behind each plaque.- an incredible amount of precision work ‘n drilling; right? (BTW: I am familair with the standard methods of hanging plaques - like Gemini brass ‘n bronze, etc.)

So, now! - my question! Can you think of some other creative way to mount these plaques dimensionally? - without stand-offs, without studs? - some creative, yet secure, way to make them “float” across the wall?

Boy! I can’t wait to hear from you all! (I’d be a Hero!) - and, I can sure use the sale! - BILL
    (Using Epilog 35W Mini 24)

float mount on different thicknesses of clear acrylic

Maybe cut wood dowels (perhaps 10-12 mm)to varying lengths in sets of 4 and glue them to the plaques set in sufficiently from the plaque edge to be invisible - then glue them to the backing sheet in the desired pattern while it is lying on the floor. Just a thought.
    Bill Carruthers, Rarotonga, Cook Islands
    Shenhui G350- 60W; + Hengchunyuan 1300x900 100W EFR , CNC router 40x60, Lightburn fan, RDCam , Coreldraw 12, Photograv 3, Scroll saw, and not enough time to play with all of them!

Clear acrylic rod 1/4" drilled and glued into the plaque and wall
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I would use French Cleats and varying thicknesses of wood behind the wall-side cleat. Set the cleat inside the edge to where it is out of view.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by David Takes; 04-29-2018 at 10:01 AM.
    -
    David Takes
    Expressions Engraved
    St. Joseph, MO

I use a lot of the Command picture hanging stuff for smaller plaques I sell. I've tested some in the home and they have been hanging for years with no issues.

https://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...SABEgJeufD_BwE
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

I like David's suggestion of French cleats. Easy, cheap and variable.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Monarch makes a lot of Z-clips, an aluminum version of a french cleat. I've used them for hanging heavier items like mirrors and such. They have standoff's and accessories too.

http://www.monarchmetal.com/products...ural-profiles/
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

what I'd do-

First, lay out the entire award board in Corel, draw everything in actual size, put every plate where it will be on the finished wall, mark each plate size. When done, count how many of each size, etc...

How to hang: a single 1-1/2" wood dowel for the smaller plates, a single 2" dowel for the midsize plates, and two dowels for the larger plates. Very easy to cut to various lengths, and a wood planer could square the ends nicely. They'll work great, and be totally invisible...

Next, I'd make backing plates out of 3/8" MDF, one for each plaque. They can be the same size, or slightly under the actual plaque size.

Once all the dowels and backing plates are cut, they can be installed on the wall anytime. Just drill & countersink the backer so the screwheads will be flush or under. Paper patterns of all the plaques can be cut and taped to wall to make sure everything looks right. From there the dowels and backers can be screwed to the wall in place of the patterns Nice thing about a single mounting screw, all the smaller plates will be very easy to level up....

The plaques themselves can just be 1/4" alder, walnut, cherry, whatever you want, or mix 'n match. Engrave away, take to the wall, and I can't think of anything better than good old contact cement for mounting the plaques to the backers; brush on both pieces, wait 10 minutes and stick 'em together...

This may or may not make sense
    mounted.jpg
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    I just engraved 65 4"x12, 6"x12 and 8"x12" all 1 1/2" thick walnut plaques (was about a dozen large, 24 medium and remainder small plaques which were dependent on the gifts given. (the quarter million up got large, the 25K to 250K got medium and the ones above 5K got small. The guy I did them for provided the plaques and I engraved and paint filled them. He uses his Scrap wood for fill in. Looks like he put up some large ply first, then nailed the random and then the plaques. The plaques all appear to sit on the smaller pieces for some extra support. He nailed them to the wall, I would have just glued, but being a kids camp, I expect nailing is necessary......
    Wall is about 8'x24' as best I can determine. This was his third that I know of. And tends to go over quite well. Nothing is finished btw. And the filling of the unfinished walnut was quite a trip.
    I figured it out, but took a bit of extra time. Rub mask down really well, and use heavy acrylic enamel paint and brush into engraving. two coats...

wall1.jpg
    wall3.jpg

wall2.jpg
    Last edited by John Lifer; 04-29-2018 at 7:23 PM.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

FROM BILL - Thanks you all for these wonderfully helpful ideas! Especially, those who took the time to include diagrams 'n photos. I’m passing ‘em along to the young fellow who’s going to be creating ‘n installing this donor recognition wall. (‘fore this, I never knew what a “French cleat” was; seems to me, with two hundred or more plaques, they’d be far more practical to install than blind-mount studs, or acrylic rods being used; we’ll see what he thinks. Also: the idea of mounting these plaques to an MDF backing would solve the problem of our having to have the larger plaques glued in strips to avoid warping. right? Wouldn’t you know, the Foundation doesn’t want thinner ‘n thicker plaques used to create the varied dimensional depths - so the French cleat idea may be the answer.

We’ll see how it goes ... got' a say, you folks are incredible! - BILL
    (Using Epilog 35W Mini 24)

I can't believe no one mentioned keyhole slots for common wood screws. Carbide keyhole slot cutter to cut three or four keyhole slots in the plaque, then screws sticking out from wall the desired distance space from back. Run aluminum standoff around each screw if you don't want to see the threads.
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

The problem with French cleats is that they simply hold the plaques in place by gravity. In other words, anyone could just walk up, grab a plaque, and remove it. Some of the other suggestions aren't much more secure. If there is any concern about such "vandalism", you have to either use a "permanent" solution (such as glueing in place) or an obscure mount (something that isn't obvious how it attaches and/or uses a method that requires a tool that isn't commonly available; the latter might involve a so-called security screw whose head requires a driver other than slotted, phillips, square or star).
    Last edited by Glen Monaghan; 05-05-2018 at 11:57 AM.

If more security is desired, adhesive could easily be applied to the French cleats. Regardless of how the plaques are secured, if a person wants to vandalize or steal them, they could easily do it.
    -
    David Takes
    Expressions Engraved
    St. Joseph, MO

Quote Originally Posted by David Takes View Post
    If more security is desired, adhesive could easily be applied to the French cleats. Regardless of how the plaques are secured, if a person wants to vandalize or steal them, they could easily do it.
    That's exactly what I did a couple of years ago for a library donor wall - French cleats top and bottom and construction adhesive. The cleats made installation a breeze and the adhesive made it virtually permanent!