Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lawn Mowers Gas or cordless

Blog Entries
    If you had one twenty one years, you are not a pup.

I had one a long time, but I use a lawn service now.

I picked up an EGO LM2100SP with the 7.5 AH battery this morning. Cut the whole yard with plenty of juice to spare. What a nice mowing experience. It is quieter than our vacuum cleaner. Easy to use, plenty of power and it recharges quickly. (and no livestock permit needed )

Thanks for all the recommendations.

John

Pics or it didn't happen...

Dan,your post is the first I've seen about those. Seriously considering buying one, thanks. There are many videos on those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Dan,your post is the first I've seen about those. Seriously considering buying one, thanks. There are many videos on those things.
    The only cordless tools I trust in terms of longevity are cordless drills or where lightweight use is expected. All battery powered machines look great and powerful when new but the verdict in after 10 years if not shorter can be different or even a shock.

Is cordless mower a fad? We can only tell in time. I will keep an eye on EGO and study its user reviews when time comes for me to replace my lawn mower which is a workhorse after 7 years with only one oil change done and no other service needed.

Simon

i have had a couple of the 36volt black and deckers for small lots, they really are quite good. keep them charged and they should last a long time. the batteries are not outrageously priced either.

I have a push EGO and love it for my 1/4 acre. It is about 90% as good as my old Toro self propelled (not so great on really long grass), but easier to use because it is so light. i have moderate slopes; if I had something steep I probably wouldn't be happy with it.

I also have a very small area that I need a separate mower for because they don't connect. I just bought a 16" Kobalt 40v for it, but haven't used it yet.

Blog Entries
    Am I the only one that remembers push mowers?

Nope. I used one for 21 years. Then my oldest son turned 15 and I decided I wasn't going to mow the lawn anymore.

So the wife decided a corded electric mower so her precious son(s) didn't have to use muscle power to mow the lawn.

I think they are fine for smaller yards...but would not work for me.

Push mowers?!

By the time I finish my lawn, I would have no energy for anything, let alone woodworking.

Even with a gas mower, it is now close to an hour job, longer after a wet day or after a road trip away. The slopes are the worst.

Simon

well, I had about 1200 sf of lawn.

The problem with batteries is that they have a short life (~5 years) and will cost as much to replace as a gas mower (which should last at least twice that long if cared for properly). New batteries might not even be available when the originals fail, whereas the gas mower will be serviceable if something breaks.

The calculus is a bit different for 2-stroke replacements. I do like my lithium ion weed whacker.

Blog Entries
    70 years ago, we had cordless lawn mowers. You walked behind them and pushed.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    70 years ago, we had cordless lawn mowers. You walked behind them and pushed.
    I have one and actually used it one summer when I lent someone my gas mower. Now I have replaced both with a 16" battery powered.