Thread: Disposing of old shellac

Disposing of old shellac

Around here, you can dispose of shellac in the regular trash after you allow it to dry. I have about a half quart can of Zinsser Seal Coat that's at least 10 years old that I'm trying to get rid of.

First I tried just opening the can and letting it sit for a few days - no sign of drying out. Then I put it out in the sun for a few days- still liquid and no major change in level.

I've tried applying some liberally to some cardboard. I'm sure that will eventually use up the can but it is pretty slow.

Any other ideas how I can just get this to dry out so I can toss the can?

Thanks, Mark

Blog Entries
    You've hit the method I use. Cut up a large cardboard box and lay it out flat. Pour the finish onto it just shy of where it will start to run off. Come back in an hour and do it again till gone. This probably works better in the desert than in MA. ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I usually have a bag of cat litter around to help speed up drying old latex paint before tossing it. Maybe try that?

Pour it into a Tray. it will evaporate quicker.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 04-28-2018 at 8:43 PM.

Fill the can with sawdust. Let the sawdust absorb it all with the lid off.

6. I'd add an equal amount of denatured alcohol, give it a good stirring, then pour it onto cardboard to dry before disposal. The fresh alcohol should help encourage drying.

After it has dried out ,I give it back to the bugs.....then all they have to exude is CONFIDENCE !!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    After it has dried out ,I give it back to the bugs.....then all they have to exude is CONFIDENCE !!
    Has anybody ever tried igniting it? :-)

OK, just to follow up. I ended up pouting it into a an old cardboard box lid in stages - worked fine. Might try the sawdust method next time.

Thanks everyone.

You laugh, perhaps, but in player piano and organ work we use burnt shellac as a sealer all the time, a time-tested, reversible, and traditional material for air-tight sealing metal plates to wood and metal nipples to wood. It's the ideal use for old shellac. You put it into a coffee can, burn off the alcohol (outside!), leaving a thick brown syrup. You can put it into a mustard squirter and it's ideal to lay down a bead where you need it. It dries after a while, staying slightly flexible for years.