Thread: Newer powermatic 20” bandsaw thoughts?

Newer powermatic 20” bandsaw thoughts?

Hello everyone. This is my first post and I love the forum!

I am looking at a lightly used Powermatic model 1791258 20” bandsaw. This is one of the newer models from 2013. It is made in Taiwan and weighs about 850 lbs. Does anyone have any experience with this saw. Thanks in advance.

Charlie

I cannot speak specifically to that band-saw but in general I have been more than happy with my powermatic equipment.

For me, It would depend a lot on the price and condition. If budget is less of a constraint I would highly recommend the Minimax MM20. We bought one about 2 years ago and it does see limited to use in our shop but it has performed well and is built well.

The motor has a rotary vane air pump built on the front. The phenolic vanes fail from time to time and need replacing. for the air pump to work. The rest is a typical Euro design copy band saw if you have a comfort level with that sort of thing.

I've drooled over that saw several times in local woodcraft. Got into the guts and really looked around it. I can speak to the 2013 model specifically but it's a beast of a saw. From wheels to bearings to fit and finish can't be beat. I've got a good bit of Powermatic and its all top notch.

With that being said, I also have a 17HD Grizzly BS set up for resaw with a laguna carbide blade and its a great saw too. Not as nice but a good saw. I'd ask how much is being asked for it, and how hard it had been run.

I'd check the usual suspects i.e. are the wheels still good and tight. I'd look at how worn down the foot break is (that's a good sign of use) Look at the motor and any signs of heat damage from lack of maintenance i.e. plugged full of dust or burnt smell.

If its a good price, I'd not hesitate to get it.

I have their floor model M&T machine, there big Drill press, and the 20HH planer. All really great tools.

Hi Charles,
    Not familiar with the PM 20" BS but I have the Griz 21", 5hp BS and it has been a great saw for my hobby use. Dedicated to resaw with 1" Lenox WM CT blade. Not sure which factory over there makes either brand but the Griz performs well and has a more pleasing price point. Good luck shopping.

Most metal saws come with a air pump that ends up failing. So most used saws either have no air or they get tied into shop air with the pressure regulated way down. Do not let a bad pump concern you at all.

Thanks guys! It is a 3 year old school saw. The school lost funding and canceled the program. The saw looks brand new and that is really the only reason I am looking at it over the model 81. If I can get it for the same price as a clean 81 I think I will pull the trigger.

I have a 2013, it's a good saw. I got mine from a guy who got it from a school, then realized it was 3 phase and his wife wanted the giant saw in the garage out of the house, so my gain. Let me know if you have any questions specifically about it. I added a VFD and haven't had any issues with it. I think Mark Spagnolo (The Wood Whisperer) has/had the 24" version.

Thanks! That’s what I want to hear. Lol. If I am honest, the only thing that will stop me from getting it is if I can’t figure out how to get it in my basement. I have a 3 ton engine hoist, a pallet jack and 3 strong but not so bright friends.

There’s a thread of mine on here somewhere that detailed my move to my basement.

Basically remove wheels, motor, table. That gets it down to 500-600lbs. I rented a battery operated hand truck stair climber for $40 or so, and me and a friend moved it easily. Fun even, though pucker factor is high whenever that size machine is on stairs.

Weight is closer to 1000lbs from what I recall.

I tipped it back on its spine to move it on a trailer.

Thanks. I will try to find the thread