Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Craftsman starting to display at Lowe's

Craftsman starting to display at Lowe's

Noticed tonight that Lowe's has Craftsman tool boxes.
    IMG_20180427_204842.jpg
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Ace Hardware is also carrying Craftsman tools.

Summit Racing Equipment and K-Mart also sell Craftsman tools.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Is the warranty going to be the same or did that expire with the brick and mortar stores?

I believe the warranty changed some time ago.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I could be wrong, but I think that the Craftsman brand may have transitioned in some way, but even so, Craftsman has been available from sources other than Sears/K-Mart for some time, but the name is a valuable thing and likely has been or will be monetized given the serious financial situation with Sears.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Stanly Black & Decker bought the Craftsman line for more than $950 million dollars plus 3-5% of sales over the next 20 years I think that was a smart move since Sears won't be around that long. SB&D is very good at monetizing there brands and will expand the line like they do there other name brands. There stock has been good as a growth stock and has paid out a dividend for over a hundred years. They seem to know what they are doing.

Blog Entries
    If the manager at my local store is correct, Craftsman will replace the Kobalt line; tool boxes, hand tools and such this summer (this conversation took place in in SoCal). Could be a good time to pick up any random wrench-sets, sockets, pliers and the like if they 'clearance' them. My Lowes also offers Kobalt power tools which have a nice fit and finish but, I am inexperienced with their innards.

In retail, things are always changing. even in the "old days" when things seemed more static, they were always changing something. Home Depot now has Yellow Irwins and Lowes carries blue ones (at least they appear similar, same screw type and sloppy travel on the parallel clamps that the Irwins have); one less choice at the BORG perhaps?

Clamps at HD.jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 04-28-2018 at 10:50 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Noticed tonight that Lowe's has Craftsman tool boxes.
    IMG_20180427_204842.jpg
    The saws sold in the last decade or two were crapsman. Ridgid tools are better than Craftsman and their warranty for life is a bonus.

Simon

I remember reading that Lowe's was going to stock a line of Craftsman tools in the future.
    On a tool forum a member was saying that they were making Craftsman hand tools (In the USA) right now at his job. Lets hope that is true and Craftsman will be an option again.
    The tool box in the pic above said it was USA made with oversea parts.
    Stanley operates a tool box manufacturing place east of Cincinnati in Georgetown Ohio. That area is very rural and jobs are hard to find out that way without driving all the way to Cincinnati. Also hope that the Craftsman/ Lowes boxes are made there.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I was quite disappointed with how Sears ran the craftsman brand straight into the ground... So I am in part glad to see it resurrected.

My concern is that SBD will use it as a marketing tool for mid price import tools rather than trying to bring it back as a brand featuring middle/high price and high quality American tools... Unfortunately - it looks like SBD is doing this to all the rest of their brands - hopefully the die is not already cast....

In the end - we will see...

Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    I was quite disappointed with how Sears ran the craftsman brand straight into the ground... So I am in part glad to see it resurrected.

My concern is that SBD will use it as a marketing tool for mid price import tools rather than trying to bring it back as a brand featuring middle/high price and high quality American tools... Unfortunately - it looks like SBD is doing this to all the rest of their brands - hopefully the die is not already cast....

In the end - we will see...
    I was flipping the latest issue of Wood at the club and there is an article about China shutting down thousands of shops due to new climate control regulations and machine prices going to creep up. The article concludes that despite the increase in costs, China will remain the main source of woodworking machines because other countries like India, Vietnam, etc, would not be able to produce and match the quality of those Chinese machines. All B&D products I own are made in China, and I would be pleasantly surprised if any new Craftsman products will be made in America. All my Craftsman tools (routers and sanders) are 30 years old and more, and they still roar like new.

Simon

I bought a crappy Craftsman dovetail jig 15 years ago which caused me to swear off Craftsman forever, until I needed a roller stand badly this winter and the only in stock option was a Craftsman. Swore it off again for that colossal turd. That being said, I use an old Craftsman vise and some wrenches often (from the 50's), and they are fine. I'm rooting for them, but there is a lot of work to do on that brand to bring it back to something I'd buy. Kobalt quality won't do it for me.

Years ago Sears was my goto store... I still have lots of there older tools and garden tractors. I miss the older stores and I hated the store before it closed.

I bought the majority of my Craftsman tools back in the 70s. I got a bandsaw, drillpress, and belt sander, all ordered through the catalog, plus the usual wrenches and other hand tools etc. They weren't industrial grade, but have served me well over the last 40+ years and helped me occasionally earn part of my income. One unusual thing was a sliding compound miter saw that I didn't realize took an odd size blade (stupid design). When they discontinued, I had to use a pc of plywood on the table to raise the work up.