Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I ordered the new dc for shop. Clear Vue MAX

Has anyone ever split the cyclone into two waste cans with a wye?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Curtis View Post
    Search with google for clearvue cyclone two bins and find the thread "Wye on bottom to fill two bins" on the ClearVue forum. Bill Pentz himself chimed in on this question. There are more threads about this as well.

JKJ

I will stick with the 55 gal. For now. I can always downsize later when I realize my back isn't what it used to be. I plan on using a good heavy-duty Dolly and the green tractor to get it to the waste pile.
    Sounds like you bought a good cyclone, and you're lucky you have the material handling equipment.

mine is in a basement and is no problem to lift when full of planer shavings, when full of MDF dust, not so much fun.

I built a bin full alarm for mine....................Regards, Rod.

If you have a quick attachment option on your tractor's loader I bet it would be easy to make something to carry and dump the drums. I've thought about it but so far I just use the fabric bags and put them in the front bucket after dragging them out of the shop. I did make a 2x2 platform with some casters on it for a 55 gallon drum I put diesel in for the tractor which is real easy to roll around but that would add extra height so may not be an option for people with ceiling height concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    If you have a quick attachment option on your tractor's loader I bet it would be easy to make something to carry and dump the drums. ...
    My tractor and skid steer both use the same quick connect. Bobcat told me they sell a quick connect frame for people to make custom implements.

JKJ

They are made for fork lifts so the easiest would be to get forks for the tractor and use something like these. or make your own version.

https://www.uline.ca/BL_1489/Drum-Tilt-Ring

https://www.uline.ca/BL_8165/Steel-D...ds=barrel+lift

https://www.uline.ca/BL_8221/Plastic-Drum-Grabber

https://www.uline.ca/BL_2316/Universal-Drum-Grabber

It's not a problem to do this at all...you just have to do the same diligence in ensuring absolutely zero air leaks no matter what your bin arrangement is. Even the tiniest leak will cause blow-through and clog your filters. (which is a thankless and very dirty task to clear...)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    It's not a problem to do this at all...you just have to do the same diligence in ensuring absolutely zero air leaks no matter what your bin arrangement is. Even the tiniest leak will cause blow-through and clog your filters. (which is a thankless and very dirty task to clear...)
    On the ClearVue forum thread I alluded to Pentz said if unless there was a length of duct from the bottom of the cone to the wye the air flow will be disrupted and the fines would not drop into the bin but instead end up going into the filters. He says it better than I can:

Bill Pentz responding to a question in "Wye on bottom to fill two bins" 04-02-2014
    "...I am posting to clear some confusion I caused. Initially, when asked if a wye could be used to support two dust bins on a Clear Vue cyclone, I said probably not. I tested a CV-1800 by adding a wye on the bottom of the cyclone cone dust chute and it worked poorly. The wye disrupted the smooth airflow needed to move the fine dust into the dust bin so it instead went into the filter. Moreover, adding a second dust bin doubles the chances of an air leak that we know kills fine dust separation.

Later a friend showed me he added a wye and all worked well. What he did different was use a few feet of flex below the cyclone before branching with a wye then more flex to two separate 55-gallon drums. You need a very tall ceiling. I played with his configuration and found we get good separation with the Clear Vue provided we use a straight of at least 6" and preferably a full one foot attached to the cyclone cone before splitting with a wye. A wye does not work unless you have a shop that is tall enough to use the straight before the wye and two full sized 30-gallon or larger collection bins. Just like with a single bin, short squat bins keep the fine dust from settling."

JKJ

I read the same thing last night. I will stick with the 55 gallon for now.

My filters arrived today. I now have all the parts. I will post pics of my progress.

I have to work all weekend and won't have time to play like I want. Oh well.

My Cyclone uses two 55 gallon cans from a Y - can inlets are 9". Its a G0638 Grizzly. The Y is steel and then its 9" flex to the cans.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    That should be a great machine. I will say that getting a 5 hp motor up high is interesting. I struggled getting mine up and wished that I had help.
    I am about to do an installation where the cyclone will be about 5 metres in the air and the bin on the floor so we are going to build the stand horizontally on the floor and stand it up from there.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I ended up doing the same as Chris. I had the 5 hp Oneida Gorilla with the floor stand. I put the motor on with it horizontal and then stood it up.

Getting older and heavy machines makes things more difficult. Unlike a couple of people, I do not have multiple tractors, skid steer, or Bobcats. I do have a cheap HF engine hoist that I use.

From a safety standpoint (pardon the partial pun...), building up a cyclone, regardless of size, on the floor and then tilting it up (if the design permits) is a pretty good idea for any of us. I remember assembling my Oneida and how much fun it was to attach each heavy steel section that essentially hung below the impeller/motor assembly already on the stand and it took effort. I didn't have much choice given it was a wall mount situation, but if I had to do it again and conditions permitted, I'd choose a free-standing, um...stand...so that I could take advantage of the "build 'n tilt" method for sure.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

IMG_20180501_204937775.jpg Here is where it is going. The front right corner of my shop. It was a tight fit but should work we.

IMG_20180501_215305577.jpgThe mounting brackets. I ended up taking them down and mounting them to 3/4 plywood that was attached to the studs

IMG_20180501_221808270.jpgHere is the motor mount. Really easy to assemble

IMG_20180503_140716610.jpgThen assembled the blower housing.
    IMG_20180503_140721242.jpgI used the 55 gallon drum to hold the cyclone body as I mounted the blower housing onto it. The cyclone was much bigger than I was expecting.

IMG_20180503_154121057.jpgIt took all I had to lift the motor and mount up to the bracket. I am sure a second had would have been nice, but I couldn't wait to get it installed. Then mounted the cyclone body to mount wasn't that hard. I balanced it on 55 gallon drum then attached.

Now I will be traveling to Kencraft tomorrow to get duct fittings. I already got snaplock from Grainger. They were one of the cheapest places I found for straight ducting.

I popped on one today.....doing the installment plan my garage/shop won’t be built for a few months yet...