Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I ordered the new dc for shop. Clear Vue MAX

I ordered the new dc for shop. Clear Vue MAX

It was payday Friday, so I finally had enough saved up for the new cyclone. Can't wait for it to get here. Now I need to get the shop ready for it's new addition.

I’m leaning towards getting one myself.....look forward to hearing about it.....looking at a late summer purchase....

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Curtis View Post
    It was payday Friday, so I finally had enough saved up for the new cyclone. Can't wait for it to get here. Now I need to get the shop ready for it's new addition.
    I'm sure you will love it. I installed the CV1800 when I built my shop and the suction is amazing. It looks like the differences between the two are the MAX has a 16" impeller instead of 15" and the uses an 8" main duct instead of 6".

The CV1800 is LOUD! I installed in a sound insulated closet. I also ran my main ducts up and through trusses which was a challenge in geometry and engineering.

JKJ

I’m sure you will like it. One thing I wished I had done with my 1800 is to have the filters a bit more accessible for cleaning. Where they are now, the are up tight against the wall which impedes proper cleaning.
    Enjoy making sawdust👍
    Sean

I have a 10" ceiling so I am going to raise the unit up to have a 55gallon drum for collection. I will also probably enclose it in a closet. We will see what it is like once set up.

I need to get ducting,. But Kencraft does not have all that I need. They said it will be here in a couple of weeks. I only wanted to make one trip there as it is a bit of a drive for me. Worth the trip for the price of ducting fittings. I found snaplock straight pipe at Granger to be the cheapest. So I will order from there and pick up in store.

That should be a great machine. I will say that getting a 5 hp motor up high is interesting. I struggled getting mine up and wished that I had help.

I have 9' plywood ceilings so the CV1800 barely fit with a shorter bin, a galvanized 30 gal trash can. After emptying it a few times I was glad I couldn't fit a bigger drum. The access "path" to my DC closet is a bit tight but I can slide the 30 gal bin to the roll-up door and still lift it into my little farm truck to carry to my dumping spot.

It sounds like you are going 1st class with the ducting! I used cheap 6" pvc drain pipe for mine and ran it above the ceiling to drops at the machines.

duct_ceiling_IMG_20141228_1.jpg

I hope you have more space that I did to install it. To figure out how to make it fit in my 4x8 closet I drew an outline on the floor to represent the closet ceiling then partially assembled the cyclone and set it on blocks upside down on the floor to determine the exact angles and duct lengths I needed. Getting the ducts through the trusses with minimal bends and without notching anything was a huge effort. It did get it out of the way but it would be difficult to modify. Fortunately, I'm approaching elderly and I think I have everything where I need it!

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Curtis View Post
    I have a 10" ceiling so I am going to raise the unit up to have a 55gallon drum for collection. I will also probably enclose it in a closet. We will see what it is like once set up.

I need to get ducting,. But Kencraft does not have all that I need. They said it will be here in a couple of weeks. I only wanted to make one trip there as it is a bit of a drive for me. Worth the trip for the price of ducting fittings. I found snaplock straight pipe at Granger to be the cheapest. So I will order from there and pick up in store.

Congratulations! Having a quality dust collection system is great for your health and for overall general shop cleanliness.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Matthew-just one more thing, I switched from a 55 gal drum after I attempted to lift 55 gallons of fine makore shavings and sander dust. I’m now with a 30 gallon and it is much more usable. Side benefit-cheaper contractor garbage bags from tr borg work great👍
    Enjoy
    Sean

Another warning on the 55g drum. Unless you've got material handling equipment, you should rethink it.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

55 vs 35 gallon is a tough choice sometimes. I can fill a 55 gallon bin in a very short period of time if I'm milling lumber on the J/P as it is; a 35 gallon bin would be full before I even blinked sometimes. But I do agree that's it's convenient to have a way to move it when full. I use my "big orange power tool" (Kubota) for that to take the bin and dump it on the shavings composting pile that's a few hundred feet away from my shop. No way would I be able to carry it that far, but a hand-truck with larger, softer wheels would make it a little easier job if I didn't have the tractor with the FEL.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I started with a freshly emptied 35 gallon bin yesterday and zoned out planing a bunch of ash... before I knew I was overfull and cleaning up for the rest of the afternoon... Barely fit under the ceiling joists in my shop with the 35 gallon though and for the most part it's pretty good... just don't get carried away.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Kocher View Post
    I started with a freshly emptied 35 gallon bin yesterday and zoned out planing a bunch of ash... before I knew I was overfull and cleaning up for the rest of the afternoon... Barely fit under the ceiling joists in my shop with the 35 gallon though and for the most part it's pretty good... just don't get carried away.
    Have you considered a bin-full sensor to cut off the cyclone? I got the one ClearVue sells, works fine but I did rewire it a bit to make it more compact. It will sound an alarm and flash a strobe light as well as shut off the DC.

Sounds like you got yours pretty souped up...

Yeah. I've thought about it... low on the list though as it's not a frequent problem.

I will stick with the 55 gal. For now. I can always downsize later when I realize my back isn't what it used to be. I plan on using a good heavy-duty Dolly and the green tractor to get it to the waste pile.