Thread: new Caliastro No. 5

new Caliastro No. 5

In my never ending quest for inexpensive, quality tools, I came across Caliastro planes. They are based in Chicago, and source the parts for their planes internationally. They assemble, sharpen, adjust, set and quality check at their location. I bought the No 5 pictured here from them last week. The folks there are a pleasure to deal with. Out of the box the plane was dead on flat, as you can see from the pics. I don't have a machinist square but according to my Starrett square the sides are perfectly 90 degrees from the sole. The fit and finish was very nice, and the blade was very sharp, needing only the usual fussing a new blade requires. The only real work I had to do was file off a small burr on the top of the lateral adjustment arm that slightly rubbed on the back of the blade. All in all, I think it's an exceptional value at less than 60 bucks.
    no5 1.jpgno5 2.jpgno5 3.jpgno5 4.jpgno5 5.jpgno5 6.jpg
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Thanks for the tip Bill. How does she cut for you?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Note that it is listed as "Not available" from the "maker". They don't even have a price listed for it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    Note that it is listed as "Not available" from the "maker". They don't even have a price listed for it anymore.
    If you click the Buy Now button on their website it directs you to PayPal. Listed at $64.99.
    Perhaps just not available through Amazon currently.

In the limited use I've put it thru it cuts very well - nice long ribbons.

And I had the same problem and emailed them at Support@caliastro.com and they accommodated my purchase direct from them. Very nice folks to deal with.

The domed screw on the front knob with it's slot looks as though it would chafe through the skin on the inside of you hand in use. I had the same problem on 3 Clifton's I bought recently. I had to grind the screw down and re-polish. I'm not sure how they can make a plane in the USA and retail it for that price. No middleman helps.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    The domed screw on the front knob with it's slot looks as though it would chafe through the skin on the inside of you hand in use. I had the same problem on 3 Clifton's I bought recently. I had to grind the screw down and re-polish. I'm not sure how they can make a plane in the USA and retail it for that price. No middleman helps.
    They can't. It is assembled in the states from imported parts.

My guess; imported from China or India.

9. Update after a couple months? I was eyeballing one listed on Amazon.

"We are cross-trained to work on many aspects of the business and do not require a high number of staff to continue with a competitive edge in operations. This is what keeps our cost down while allowing us to sell high quality products that outperform large competitors." is how they explain on their website.

Surely, the imported parts are a main reason that this plane can be sold at $60 or so. Even the Wood River v3 can't compete with them at that kind of price. The Amazon reviews seem to be very encouraging with only one bad remark out of 13. I am not a fan of the carbon steel, but then I am not looking for any planes.

Simon

I am by no means a plane expert. But after using it on several projects, the edge holds up well, still flat as a pancake, it's comfortable, and I really like the adjustment mechanism. Everything is still tight, and no discovered problems. I've edge planed 100 year old oak mainly, and even used it to trim the dovetails on a wedding box I just finished, not it's recommended use I'm sure. But it performs well for me. No regerts. Not the equal of 3 or 4 hundred dollar planes, but for my use it has been great.

Sounds like a winner for that kind of money.

Simon

I am bringing up an old thread rather then creating a new one. My rational is that all the Caliastro info can be in one place.

I have been seeing these (Caliastro No. 5 Bench Plane) on eBay sold by a bulk goods outfit in STL. I am not affiliated with Caliastro, eBay, or the seller. After I bought mine, I noticed another for auction the next day by the same cargo outfit. I suspect they have a case of them.

I picked one of these up for $30, plus shipping - partly out of curiosity. My impressions are unboxing only - my shop is too cold this week. The days of finding $20 user no. 5's at garage sales may be past so I want to understand options. I have given away 3 or 4 no5 planes over the years to new woodworkers (I use an old 5 1/2 almost exclusively as my bench plane) so I am looking for a source now that flea market baileys are marked at $80 and up.

Opening the box, I noticed a spare blade. The dimensions of the blade are standard 2". The knob and the tote look standard as well. The adjustment screw and nut are NOT 9/32-24 LH (the spare nut on my desk confirmed that). I will get my tread tools on this and update. The lever cap screw looks bigger than a Stanley to me. So parts should be assumed to be interchangeable.

The lever cap is thick and heavy - I like the look of it. The sides of the body are as close to 90 as my desk square can notice. I will put the sole on a granite plate when the sun returns. The finish on the inside body is nice - hard like enamel, not soft like old Japanning. The surface of the outside body is "textured" in a way that makes me want to put some 200/400/600 paper on it. The finish on the tote has brush marks, etc. The lower tote screw is proud of the wood by a 1/16th or so.

If it will take a smooth cut, I will consider it $45 well spent.