Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mac + Trotec: Not communicating with VMWare/Parallels/Virtual Box

Mac + Trotec: Not communicating with VMWare/Parallels/Virtual Box

Hello everyone, I have a technical issue that I would love to ask for your assistance on. Let me preface that I design extensively on an IMAC & Illustrator and would prefer to not have to use Bootcamp or buy a new PC. To reach that goal, I've installed VMware, Parallels, Virtual Box and the job control program on each one but still I can't connect to the laser. It says

"No response from engraver. Check if engraver is connected to the correct COM port and switched."

I can't for the life of me figure out what's wrong. I've been troubleshooting all day to no avail.

Been going thru this with my BIL's new computer, Virtual box can be finicky about getting the USB ports enabled. After confirming I did get the USB working, we still had trouble getting the machine connected-- went in and changed the port number and everything else I could figure out what to do- in the end, we just kept plugging the machine into different ports on the computer until we hit the one that worked.

My big Triumph is that way, and there's no VM involved, it will only work when plugged into one specific USB plug on the computer, all the others are dead as far as it's concerned...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Okay, so I just borrowed a friend's PC laptop with windows 10 and his laptop also getting the same message. Now I'm doubly confused.

I have tried to run Gravostyle on Mac to no avail.

Have had it work intermittently - went back to a cheap pc laptop and thats been fine
    HARDWARE - Macbook Retina Pro - Toshiba Satellite - Epilog Helix 60W Co2 Laser & Rotary - Trotec Speedy 300 Co2 Laser - Gravo IS400 IQ Engraver. - Pcut CTO630 Vinyl Cutter. - Wacom DTF720 Touch / Trace Screen - GKS DC16 Sublimation Press - Chinese 6040 CNC Router
    SOFTWARE - VMware Fusion / Windows 8.1 - Coreldraw X6 - Trotec Job Control 9.4.4.2 - E-cut - Gravostyle 7 - ULS 1Touch Photo - BizzWizz Invoicing / Stock Control / Ledger - VB6 Pro - Mach3 - V-Carve Desktop

I will use nothing newer than Win7, mostly because of my machines. I have a win8 computer and could only hook up 3 of my machines, plus it sucks as an OS, plus a win8 computer can't have win7 forced onto it, so it's just collecting dust. (the win7 VM had issues too)-- Win10 and it's 'update or else' nonsense, not in my house...

I don't know if win10 is the problem but it wouldn't surprise me. But I do know several users here with Trotec's have no win10 issues, so....??
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Ditto Kev, you do not Need to buy a new MS PC, there are lots out there used with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. Some came off lease and are sitting around waiting for someone to give them a good home. I have had good luck with off lease Lenovo laptops, in fact I have 3 running right now. The old, old T43 is on my CNC router and doing just fine, and its XP Pro.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Is this a new machine or something you bought used? Has it ever worked?

There is no problem with Win10 and running a Trotec, I've been doing it since Win10 came out and I know of plenty of people who are doing the same. I know it will work with Parallels and VMware also as I know several people using one or the other. Since you have two machines it won't connect to I would suspect the cable or the laser. Easy test is to swap cables for something you know is working, or a brand-new one, and see if that changes anything. Use the PC just to eliminate any possible Mac setup issues. If it still won't connect then a call to Trotec is in order.

What version of Mac OS are you using. If high Sierra, there is a setting you need to change in order for the mac to see the serial-usb driver that Trotec uses.

You can PM me for details.
    Bugs

Trotec Speedy 300 - 80W
    Job Control X
    Mac/Fusion 10
    Corel 2018

Call support. It's free. They'll login and help you get it sorted out and you won't waste 2 days trying to get it working.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Minty View Post
    "No response from engraver. Check if engraver is connected to the correct COM port and switched."
    Had the same issue, and still have occasionally. Did you ever figure out a solution?

Not sure if this is a separate from the topic or not but you are using a USB connection right? And not all usb is data some cables are power only. Ruby doesn’t work with parallels nor does JC 11. Hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Williams View Post
    Not sure if this is a separate from the topic or not but you are using a USB connection right? And not all usb is data some cables are power only. Ruby doesn’t work with parallels nor does JC 11. Hope it helps
    Thanks, Chase, appreciate the reply. Yes, it's the same topic and I'm using USB; though I purchased a Serial>USB cable and tried that as well just in case. Ruby and JC 11 weren't around AFAIK when @steveminty started this thread in 2018. Since the error is the same ("No response from engraver. Check if engraver is connected to the correct COM port and switched.") I was wondering if he figured out the root cause and/or a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Steffen Heidemann View Post
    Thanks, Chase, appreciate the reply. Yes, it's the same topic and I'm using USB; though I purchased a Serial>USB cable and tried that as well just in case. Ruby and JC 11 weren't around AFAIK when @steveminty started this thread in 2018. Since the error is the same ("No response from engraver. Check if engraver is connected to the correct COM port and switched.") I was wondering if he figured out the root cause and/or a solution.
    Ruby nor JC 11 and further support serial connections even with the serial to USB converter, they need a native USB motherboard. What machine do you have and i can maybe point you in the right direction? I know when we had an old Speedy II (now the Speedy 300), i didnt think it had USB as there wasnt a port for it on the back, however when looking at the motherboard, it did have USB, I just had to make the cutout in the back for it to be plugged into. If you have one of the older ones, my guess maybe that you might be in the same boat.

Thanks for offering your help. It's a Speedy 100R and we've always connected the machine through regular USB. It usually connects, but occasionally it doesn't. Sometimes all it needs is some swearing or wiggling here and there, I've also checked the fuses, they are fine and the mainboard looks okay though I can't rule out that there might be a cold solder point somewhere which would be my guess; I wouldn't know how to find it though. Thus wondering if Steve figured it out (is it possible to ping him here?). I don't think it's related to JC… usually running JC 9 which worked just fine, JC 11 worked as well (also with Parallels), never tried Ruby as it didn't install properly.

EDIT: Sorry! Running JC 10, not 9, of course.
    EDIT 2: Didn't run JC 11; must have mixed something up.
    Last edited by Steffen Heidemann; 08-29-2023 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steffen Heidemann View Post
    Thanks for offering your help. It's a Speedy 100R and we've always connected the machine through regular USB. It usually connects, but occasionally it doesn't. Sometimes all it needs is some swearing or wiggling here and there, I've also checked the fuses, they are fine and the mainboard looks okay though I can't rule out that there might be a cold solder point somewhere which would be my guess; I wouldn't know how to find it though. Thus wondering if Steve figured it out (is it possible to ping him here?). I don't think it's related to JC… usually running JC 9 which worked just fine, JC 11 worked as well (also with Parallels), never tried Ruby as it didn't install properly.
    Sure thing no problem. Once it is going are you having any problems? Im wondering if a door sensor maybe faulty (its happened to me), as that could prevent it from working properly; there is a way to override all of them on the motherboard and test/disable them. However, its a red flag to me that you can jump across JC 9 and JC 11, JC 11 should have required a firmware update that wouldnt play nice with JC 9. If i were in your shoes and what I have personally done is mount a windows computer to the back of the machine (without monitor), we like the Lenovo M93p micro as they are affordable and small (we have literally like 100 of them if anyone needs one cheap), I got a small computer mount that is held in place via one of the screws on the back. The computer itself runs pretty much only Ruby, as Ruby is a web based application and the computer it is on moreso acts like a server then a computer. This allows you and anyone on the network to be able to connect to Ruby and the machine via web browser, meaning it will work with any operating system. Basically you only need the windows computer to run the Ruby application but once that is setup any operating system can connect to Ruby via web browser. Ruby is being updated multiple times a year and I assume it carries the latest firmwares for all the devices, its probably a good idea if you get Ruby going to update to the latest firmware as that could be causing issues too, just make sure you choose the right firmware!

PS: name the computer something convenient before installing Ruby, makes the web address easier.
    Last edited by Chase Williams; 08-29-2023 at 9:06 AM.