Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Blood Sugar and fitness walking

Blog Entries
    If this thread induced somebody to start walking, I accomplished my purpose in posting.

Way to go Lowell.

I need to start walking. I keep weight and stuff down by staying on a low carb high fat (LCHF) diet. Feel much better but I do need to get some exercise.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall harrison View Post
    way to go lowell.

I need to start walking. I keep weight and stuff down by staying on a low carb high fat (lchf) diet. Feel much better but i do need to get some exercise.
    just do it!

Blog Entries
    I just returned from my morning walk

May 6 2018
    Sunnny bright
    70 degrees
    3290 steps
    1.4 miles

It is delightful in Galveston County Texas. It is about 68 degrees, sun shining bright.
    If you can't make the distance, just start walking if it's only a few steps, then add to it
    every day. It is a great morning to be alive. God is in his heaven and smiling.

Blog Entries
    I just returned from my morning walk

May 8 2018
    Sunny bright
    70 degrees
    3401 steps
    1.44 miles

It is delightful in Galveston County Texas. It is about 70 degrees, sun shining bright.
    If you can't make the distance, just start walking if it's only a few steps, then add to it

I walked 3,401 steps for 1.44 miles at 2.5 mph.
    Old dogs (like myself) if you are not in a fitness routine, start one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Wow Matt, that is a great achievement! From 250# to 167# and a full marathon. You rock my friend. I think it is time to change your avatar.
    I really should. Haven't looked that way in years. This was me a year ago Memorial Day. Won my age group at an 8K on Grosse Ile.

18740743_1676338302395411_3558054460686151690_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Wow, that's an amazing change. I ran Boston many years ago but I did it as a bandit. I was a 3:30 marathoner (3:26 was my personal best) and could never get to 3:10 which was the qualifying time for my age group. Even taking 8 minutes off of a marathon time is a significant challenge. I was about 155 pounds at that time - 175 now.
    Mine is 3:25, but right now you need to be about 3 minutes under that so realistically my goal is about 3:20. I should say was, for now. I injured my hip, or probably more correctly finished it off in February and based on my visit to an ortho guy yesterday looks like I'll be taking a little detour but after holding my friend's Boston 2018 medal at dinner a couple weeks ago, I'm determined to have one.

Blog Entries
    May 9 2018
    Sunny bright
    70 degrees
    3149 steps
    1.34 miles

It is delightful in Galveston County Texas. It is about 70 degrees, sun shining bright.
    And, at 82 years, I do not run, I walk. I'm not in a hurry.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 05-09-2018 at 6:00 PM.

Blog Entries
    May 21 2018
    Sunny bright
    70 degrees
    140 steps
    0.6 miles

And, at 82 years, I do not run, I walk. I'm not in a hurry.

Yes, exercise and avoiding SUGAR white potatoes and grains [particularly white ones] will take off weight and improve health. [and I say that from both personal observation and the perspective of a Doctor of Internal Medicine.]

Blog Entries
    It is sunny in Galveston County Texas, I just completed my morning walk. After I had a heart attack sixteen year ago, as I stated before, I started fitness walking.
    It is sunny, 80 degrees. According to the pedometer on my cellphone, I walked 1.5 miles @ 2.4 mph. I have not had another heart attack.
    Google "fitness walking" and start walking. It is a great day to be alive.

Blog Entries
    I walked this morning. I went 1.46 mi at 2.3 mph according to the pedometer attachment on my cell phone.
    Tomorrow is my 82nd birthday. Hey, old dogs, start walking. It will keep you walking.

I started a morning walk or bike ride about a month ago when my doctor advised my A!C number was approaching dangerous levels and recommended I start a low dose of A1C reducing medication. I thought about it and decided not to start the meds but to watch my diet more closely and get more exercise. So far i've only missed one morning in four weeks, typically I walk or bike for about an hour. Haven't had a blood test to check A1C number yet, but have lost about 6 pounds.

Blog Entries
    I am out the door to my morning walk. It is 85 degrees and overcast in Dickinson. It is great to be alive and walking. I do not take it for granted.

Blog Entries
    Just got back from my 1/2 hour walk in Clayton, NC. Temp is 77 F. Forgot my Fitbit so don't know how many steps I took. I'm 73.

A few months ago I started tracking my walks with the pup with an app on my iphone. It has been fun to look back at the maps and see the routes I took. I recently traded my credit card points in for an apple watch with GPS. I'm really enjoying the activity app and it's reminders to get up and move around if I have been sitting too long at my desk. It's been a fun incentive to get out and exercise even more. Each evening, weather and time permitting, I'm trying to fit in 1 hour of walking with the pup and increasing the distance and pace. We did 3.5 miles the other day averaging 19 minutes per mile which included mandatory sniffing and dandelion taste testing. At least one of us is tired by the end of the walk ... while the 4-legger is ready to start the walk again.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."