Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Blood Sugar and fitness walking

Blog Entries

Blood Sugar and fitness walking

I don't know why I am posting this.

I am a bit diabetic. I was diagnosed about 20 years ago. I went on a stringent diet and I read a book on fitness walking. I just
    returned from my morning walk. Today my blood sugar was 160 before the walk and 133 after the walk. I have walked most days for
    about 20 years. My legs and feet do not hurt.

I weighed as much as 205 pounds at one time. I weight just under 160 pounds now. I eat what ever I want. Oh, and I had a heart
    attack in 2005 and was hospitalized. If you are interested I am 82 years old. I have not been in a doctor's office recently. I do not
    see one regularly. I walk a little over one mile on most days.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 04-26-2018 at 11:33 AM.

Thats Fantastic Lowell!!!
    You're an inspiration.
    I am in a similar situation. I was about 210 when I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic. With dietary changes, walking and exercising I managed to skip the meds and lose about 35 pounds. I have gained some back because of the exercise and weight training but I wear the same size pants I did as a teen. After losing weight with walking I now run 3 or 4 times a week.
    I am 50 and in better shape than i was in my 30's.
    Thanks for sharing.
    jon

Blog Entries
    Diagnosed 5 years ago at age 65. I blame my terrible sweet tooth. A1c dropped to 5.9 from 8.4 in the first year with diet change and metformin. Creeping back up to 6.2 now, just a matter of time before I need to change meds. I lost 10-15 pounds just due to dietary change, now at about 165 never been over 195. A year ago I started going to the gym for 45 minutes three times a week (in a good week). It helped. Now if I can halve sweets in my diet. I have really cut down and avoid white bread and ration my potatoes and sweets intake. Working on it. Good to hear success stories like Jon and Lowell's.
    NOW you tell me...

I like the idea of this thread.

My latest health fair results were very good. Blood sugar 88, cholesterol 140, hdl is the only thing a bit low at 50. A visit to the Dr two days ago to discuss results also revealed my bp was 114/68.

According to the federal government I am too fat. I am on a weight loss goal and want to lose about 50lbs. The good cholesterol and bp numbers come with the aid of some meds.

I work out 3-5 days a week and during the summer months ride my bike 20 miles before 6 am. Most importantly, I gave up alcohol which I think is really aiding with weight loss and lower bp.

Kind of sounds like I am bragging a bit....sorry about that. I guess I am, but I am also pleased with the positive results from the last health fair blood tests.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Keep it up Lowell. Due to family history of diabetes and disabled people in the house who can't exercise much, we all gave up sugar and any foods containing added sugar completely just over 12 months ago. It the best thing we ever did. Didn't take long to get used to it. Never felt so good. My cholesterol is down out of the stratosphere. I'm skinny anyway but the ladies are steadily losing weight. I can't stand coffee with sugar now. If we want sweet, it is whole fresh fruit. What started as a challenge has turned into us eating whatever we want. We just want different stuff now. Supermarkets are where you buy toilet paper, not food. Cheers

I was just diagnosed as diabetic about a week ago and starting to make the difficult changes. I have nobody to blame but myself for my poor eating habits and lack of exercising. I hope to lose 30-40 pounds and get off the medication, because I dislike medicine and so far the metformin isn't playing nice with my system. Keep up the good work Lowell.

Blog Entries
    I just returned from my morning walk. I walked 1.26 miles, 2,958 steps. I burned 112.5 kcal. My cell phone has a pedometer on it . I walked at 2.3 mph.
    If you can only walk 100 steps, do it today. Tomorrow, do it again but walk 105 steps. Keep that routine up, walking five more steps each day. Within a year
    you will be walking distances you can't do today. I am convinced walking will add years to your life. Google "fitness walking".

https://www.google.com/search?q=fitt...hrome&ie=UTF-8

That's good advise Lowell. A little over 3 years ago I was 250lbs and decided it was time to do something. I had never been into fitness, hated gym, and never played sports. I started eating carefully and started walking 60 minutes a few days a week (indoor on a treadmill since it was winter.) I would periodically check my heart rate and keep it in the so-called Aerobic Zone adjusting the speed. After a couple months I was walking as fast as I possibly could so I started jogging 30s at a time. Last fall I ran a full marathon 8 minutes off the qualifying standard for my age for Boston and weighed a too-thin 167lb doing it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    That's good advise Lowell. A little over 3 years ago I was 250lbs and decided it was time to do something. I had never been into fitness, hated gym, and never played sports. I started eating carefully and started walking 60 minutes a few days a week (indoor on a treadmill since it was winter.) I would periodically check my heart rate and keep it in the so-called Aerobic Zone adjusting the speed. After a couple months I was walking as fast as I possibly could so I started jogging 30s at a time. Last fall I ran a full marathon 8 minutes off the qualifying standard for my age for Boston and weighed a too-thin 167lb doing it.
    Wow Matt, that is a great achievement! From 250# to 167# and a full marathon. You rock my friend. I think it is time to change your avatar.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    Walking is also good for arthritis. I'm 72, have arthritic knees (patella to be precise) and used to get shots in them several times a year. Got so the shots only lasted a few weeks so in desperation I started walking. I found that walking at a slow to moderate pace for 30 minutes 4 or 5 times a week actually worked better than the shots ever did.

I will agree with everyone in reverse - NOT walking is bad for you. The body is a use it or lose it type of machine.
    Remember when you used to hear that cars need to be driven regularly or they start to have problems? I think of the body like that.
    This is why it's good practice to override the instinct to park in the nearest spot to front door of the store and walk a little further. Same thing at work, taking the stairs instead of the elevator. Those distances all add up.

Wow, you guys are inspirational, excellent work!

Blog Entries
    I've never done a marathon, but I do walk seven to eight miles per week.

We old dogs need to walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Wow, that's an amazing change. I ran Boston many years ago but I did it as a bandit. I was a 3:30 marathoner (3:26 was my personal best) and could never get to 3:10 which was the qualifying time for my age group. Even taking 8 minutes off of a marathon time is a significant challenge. I was about 155 pounds at that time - 175 now.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

It’s not unusual for your glucose to be high in the morning if you’re diabetic. Your liver makes glucose at night. It would have dropped whether you walked or not. But keep walking. Muscles need glucose and will burn it.