Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Blood Sugar and fitness walking

Blog Entries
    Keep it up guys, I had an appointment with my cardiologist this morning. He did not find anything wrong, but he is scheduling more strenuous tests for me.
    I already know there are no issues to be dealt with but when you are in your 80's, you take care of business.
    You know what I found to be interesting, he is getting old too, but he appears to be fit.

Blog Entries
    [It is sunny in Galveston County Texas, I just completed my morning walk. After I had a heart attack sixteen year ago, as I stated before, I started fitness walking.
    It is sunny, 80 degrees. According to the pedometer on my cellphone, I walked 1.3 miles @ 2.5 mph.

Yes, Type II diabetes (which is not true diabetes because the body is capable of producing insulin) is basically a lifestyle disease. Often nothing more than hyperglycemia due to excessive carbohydrate and sugar consumption - not insulin deficiency. I know so many people and friends who struggle with this, but it doesn't have to be that way.

But what do most people do? They take insulin, which puts the excess sugar into the tissue where its converted to fat, so the person becomes even more obese!!

If you start looking, sugar is everywhere - from ketchup to mustard to spaghetti sauce, usually in the form of high fructose corn syrup.

The American diet is horrible. Prepared foods are full of fat and salt - do not every eat them! Too much food addiction!! A whole grain, vegetable & fruit rich, high fiber diet with exercise will eliminate a variety of lifestyle related diseases.

Lowell is to be commended and proof that this is a lifestyle disease. I can say is if everyone took personal responsibility for their health, our medical system would greatly benefit, and so would our insurance premiums.

Reading Lowell's posts, its obvious what regular exercise can do for one's mental attitude.

Congratulations, Lowell!!

Blog Entries
    It is 9 am and I am headed out the door. It is a great day to be alive.
    I walked 1.41 miles, 3312 steps, 80 deg F, slight wind from the West,
    Sunshine Bright
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 06-15-2018 at 11:04 AM.

Blog Entries
    It is 8 am and I am headed out the door. It is a great day to be alive.
    I walked 1.24 miles, 3163 steps, 80 deg F, slight wind from the East,
    Sunshine Bright Great Day to be alive,

Started walking again about 2 months ago. I walk 5 miles a day about 3 to 4 times a week. Lost 10 lbs. 262 before starting and would like to get to 230 before end of summer. Pace has started to pick up some lately so know I am on the right path. Take days off when knee starts to hurt. Love to walk out doors. Hate any inside exercising.
    John T.

Blog Entries
    It is Tuesday, June 19,2018 @8:00 AM, I just returned from my morning walk.
    It is a cloudy bright day in Dickinson, Galveston County, Texas and a great day to be alive.
    According to the pedometer on my cell phone I walked 1.22 miles at 2.5 mph.

Old guys like myself, get out and start walking. I don't suffer any pain and I attribute
    that to fitness walking. Google "fitness walking"
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 06-19-2018 at 10:15 AM.

Blog Entries
    It is Saturday, June 23,2018 @8:10 AM, I just returned from my morning walk.
    It is a cloudy bright day in Dickinson, Galveston County, Texas and a great day to be alive.
    According to the pedometer on my cell phone I walked 1.36 miles at 2.4 mph.

Old guys like myself, get out and start walking. I don't suffer any pain and I attribute

Blog Entries
    Sunday, June 24, 2018, 9:30 AM 80 degrees

According to the pedometer on my cell phone I walked 1.15 miles at 2.5 mph.

Thanks for the daily reminders of exercise and sugar control.
    I had screwed up today: several bananas, Cheerios with milk, and an orange for breakfast; rice & pork, milk and another banana for lunch. Way too many carbohydrates for me. Glucose meter said 205. Just spent three hours mowing an acre of grass with a 22" push mower.
    About 5 miles. Glucose meter said back down to a tolerable 123. It'll take another 12-24 hours to get back under 100.

I have been pretty lax since my dog died. We used to go for a two mile walk a few times a day. Need to re-focus.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Been walking more as of late, watching the diet better as well, but the lack of carbs leaves me Hungary or eating to big of portions. On the bright side, my lowest ever reading was this evening at 136. I have to keep reminding myself it's progress, just slow progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lisowski View Post
    Been walking more as of late, watching the diet better as well, but the lack of carbs leaves me Hungary or eating to big of portions. On the bright side, my lowest ever reading was this evening at 136. I have to keep reminding myself it's progress, just slow progress.
    Try to eat a lot of vegetables with your meals. Especially crucifers like broccoli and cauliflower. The fiber in them forces your body to work harder to digest them and will reduce the hunger feelings. Plus they're loaded with various vitamins and antioxidants. Simple carbohydrates that have very little fiber fly through the digestive system by comparison. Carbs can also create an addiction of sorts, and when you restrict them, you may feel lousy for a short while, but this is the body readjusting and if you can push through this adjustment period, you will eventually feel great and you will be much healthier, leaner, fitter.
    Edwin

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lisowski View Post
    Actually the carbs should leave you hungry shortly after eating not the lack of carbs, maybe you're missing something else like healthy fats? Check out this video especially at 5:00 min point. Keep up the walking, that is definitely the right thing to do.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ

PS don't take my word for it, do your own research and decide for yourself.
    Last edited by Doug Garson; 06-24-2018 at 11:03 PM. Reason: added PS

Got my morning walk in again today, I have been increasing the intensity slowly by adding some weight and some elevation. Where I live on the Fraser River in New Westminster BC the landscape is pretty flat but there's a bike/pedestrian ramp up to an overpass that I climb (4 times today) to get some extra work in, plus a second overpass I go over and back. I've been doing this for about 6 weeks (only missed 3 mornings) and along with cutting carbs and taking apple cider vinegar (look it up), I've lost about 12 pounds.

Blog Entries
    June 26, 2018, sunny 80 degrees in Dickinson, Galveston County, Texas.
    I just returned from walking. The pedometer on my cell phone shows that I burned 127.7 kcal, 1.47 miles @ 2.4 mph.
    I had a heart attack in 2002, started walking, have not had another one.

Google "fitness walking".
    https://www.google.com/search?q=fitn...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Have a god day, I'm having one.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 06-26-2018 at 9:12 AM.