Thread: Keller Dovetail Jig

Keller Dovetail Jig

I love doing hand cut dovetails. But sometimes I need to complete a project with a lot of dovetails a little faster. I am researching DT jigs. Does anyone here use the Keller.It only does through DT's but it seems to be the easiest to set up and use. I doubt if I would be doing half blinds very much and I can cut them by hand.
    Charlie Jones

Yes, I have the 1601 jig and it does everything the manufacturer claims it will do. Set it up once and it will stay accurate. When I've had a ton of dovetails to do, this is the tool I use. I have done jobs consisting of 30-40 drawers in baltic birch in one evening using this jig.
    I prefer using it upside down on a router table as opposed to using a hand held router because the dust collection is better at the router table in my particular situation.

I like that Keller set it up so the tails are naturally wider than the pins which is not the case with some router jigs which look too similar to box joints to me. This said, you can also skip one finger to make the tails twice as wide. I haven't done as much playing around with variable spacing, but I've been meaning to do so.
    Edwin

I purchased the Keller jig in the late 90's and use it frequently. Once assembled to the correct fit it is easy to use. I have Muscular Dystrophy so I struggle with hand tools. For drawers I put a false front on and never look back.

I have a Keller and a Leigh, and the Keller is my go-to jig. I have two routers permanently set up and assigned to it.

Thank. It is nice to hear from those who use the tool. I am placing my order.
    Charlie Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Jones View Post
    Thank. It is nice to hear from those who use the tool. I am placing my order.
    Charlie,
    When you receive it, if you have any issues or questions, in addition to posting here, I would recommend calling the company. Mr. Keller is very good about returning calls and providing support and guidance. He's a woodworker himself, not just a tool vendor business guy.
    Here is a photo of a little box I made with a leftover cedar fence picket. This is an example of making an ultra wide tail by skipping a notch for a design change of pace.
    Edwin

IMG_1364.jpg

I’m a little late to the conversation but I will echo everything said above. I have the 1601 an it’s really easy to use, you won’t be disappointed. I added some aluminum track, stop blocks and toggle clamps to mine to make setting and using the jig faster. Works like a champ.

C02C0BDD-FA96-4510-86EC-29773393ECFF.jpg

Edwin,

I really like that. Definitely a change of pace. Most people wouldn’t know it came from a jig.
    Charlie Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cherry View Post
    I’m a little late to the conversation but I will echo everything said above. I have the 1601 an it’s really easy to use, you won’t be disappointed. I added some aluminum track, stop blocks and toggle clamps to mine to make setting and using the jig faster. Works like a champ.

C02C0BDD-FA96-4510-86EC-29773393ECFF.jpg
    That’s what I plan to do to mine. That’s for the photo.
    Charlie Jones