Thread: next project coming

next project coming

we were both under construction at the same time. she was registered may 2 1945 and I was born 3 months prior, I am going up to Campbell River to get her on the 27 and seeing about bringing her back down to Sidney
    main rebuilding will be the stern above decks that will not be started until some time in july. I am moving up to Sayward B.C. I have been downsizing my shop for almost the last 2 months and i figure that it will take to the end of June to get it down to my basic shop machines and hand tool and some wood that i can get it manageable in a small place. want to load what is left unto the boat to move. i plan on building an aft cabin that will aesthetically match the boats character and that is where my new shop will be situated. I will live aboard with my buddy and just travel the coast of BC and pick up some work here and there but not on boats other than my own. my bucket list job. I have spent 43 years on land running my businesss woodworking. the last time that I was on a boat was just prior to 43 years ago when I was fishing halibut off the west coast of the Queen Charlottes with my brother. i had put 2 seasons out there. I will try and document this process.
    she is 38 ft long
    ron

Nice looking. Hope she has good bones. Seems a bit tight for a live-aboard for two plus wood shop. Looking forward to more details on the starting point: layout drawing, etc.

Wish you much good luck.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Does the hull need any work?

Quote Originally Posted by James Waldron View Post
    Nice looking. Hope she has good bones. Seems a bit tight for a live-aboard for two plus wood shop. Looking forward to more details on the starting point: layout drawing, etc.

Wish you much good luck.
    this is my buddy

ron

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Does the hull need any work?
    it does need quite a bit above water line. the whole top stern has to be replaced and the bulwarks will get it too
    ron

here is a picture of it in 95 and looks like she may have a few halibut on board. boats do look better in white.

It's lines do look similar to an older boat, the Northern Breeze that my brother had rebuilt and fished in the late 70s and early 80s. 55' and built in 41 at Park Shipyards in Vancouver, B.C.

ron

Quote Originally Posted by ron david View Post
    this is my buddy

ron
    Careful you don't turn him into shark bait!

I guess you'll have enough room below, but not enough deck space. He'll want to get off and run every chance he gets.

Nice looking fella!
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Quote Originally Posted by James Waldron View Post
    Careful you don't turn him into shark bait!

I guess you'll have enough room below, but not enough deck space. He'll want to get off and run every chance he gets.

Nice looking fella!
    biggest problem at the start will will be getting her from jumping in the water all the time, but she is quite trainable. All of my Chesapeakes have a great desire for the water.
    I am going to having shop space in Sayward BC 15 x 70'. there are 2 old double end gillnetters, a 24" planer and a 36" bandsaw and a place to tie up. he has a small old wooden boat museum there.
    we'll just have to see what the future brings and I am happy the way it looks
    we will both stay up top as the ladder is to steep for her to get into the engine room in able to get in the front berths
    ron

here is a painting of the Rendal back in her working days. Rendal is the name of a Norwegian town or county. it was a Norwegian who built the boat and i was told that there were no power tools used in the construction

ron

You're going to have a wonderful home in a great place. In a former life I spent a lot of time on sailboats cruising and racing in the Straits of Georgia, Straits of Juan de Fuca and Puget Sound. Tied up outside of boats like yours many times. There's nothing like those waters. As I'm sure you know, they're not always benign but you have a stout boat there. Enjoy!