Thread: Dewalt 735 - Broken Drive Belt

Dewalt 735 - Broken Drive Belt

I changed the head in my Dewalt 735 to the Shelix head about a month ago and today the belt broke?

Anyone have any idea why this would happen? Has this happened to anyone else with the Shelix head?

IMG_9849.jpg

2. Happened to me. No idea why - it didn’t snap completely, so I trimmed it down and put it back on (so I could finish what I was doing) and it has worked fine since. I did order a replacement on Amazon, but since it’s still been working, I’ve been too lazy to put the new one on.

I might try that. New one doesn't get here until Monday and I have to do!
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 04-26-2018 at 8:02 AM.

Blog Entries
    I would check the alignment, it looks like the belt was rubbing against the side of one of the pulleys.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Not yet, gulp! I believe my drive belt is much wider, about 3/4". Does anyone know if there are different versions?
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

I think they are the same, mine is wider, it just shredded into several thinner pieces.

7. Mine didn't break , but taking off the belt , and putting it back on was a major pain.
    Once I Did , I didn't have it aligned correctly , and the edge was hitting the drive chain. Made a horrible racket (although worked).
    Re-seated it which stopped the noise.
    No issues so far.

I once visited a tool sales/rental/repair shop. In talking with the service/repair tech, noticed there were 3 or 4 of these machines in for repair. I believe all were for new belts. That convinced me not to consider this machine for a future purchase.

I have been looking at it and I think that I probably didn't get it back on correctly after adding the Shelix head. I have had it for several years with no issues and then the belt breaks a month after I changed the head. This is a great machine, especially with the Shelix added. A $34 belt every 2 years? I'll take it.