Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finished

Finished

Done!

The travel workbench is finished, kinda. The next time I have a reason to pull it apart I'll clean up the pencil marks, finish rounding off the tusk tenons and put some oil or finish on at least the base. I will also finish making the pin from the piece of round stock. None of that changes the bench functionality and the bench is fully functional as is.

I've done all the major jobs on it, edge and face plane, saw rip and crosscut, plow a groove, and chop end grain and the bench is rock solid, as solid as the main French/English bench.

travelBenchFinished180425dscf2675.jpg

Click it to big it.

Now comes the problem, where to put it. It is too good to just store in the Motorhome and only use on trips. I'm thinking I can move the assembly bench to under the wood storage and replace the assembly bench with the travel bench. Or I could give the assembly bench to MsBubba for her studio. What to do, what to do?

In some ways it is a nice problem to have but here is the sick part....I'm already thinking about making another one but slightly scaled up.

ken

Nice! Mind if I ask what plans you used/where you got them?

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    In some ways it is a nice problem to have but here is the sick part....I'm already thinking about making another one but slightly scaled up.
    It sounds to me as though you're suffering from Benchmaking Syndrome (BS). I'm sure you can stop any time you want... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Eaton View Post
    Nice! Mind if I ask what plans you used/where you got them?
    Brian,

It is loosely based on the video and build Will Myers did for Popular Woodworking.

The video is worth watching even if you do not do the build, Will is a hoot and very talented.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    It sounds to me as though you're suffering from Benchmaking Syndrome (BS). I'm sure you can stop any time you want... :-)
    Patrick,

You are correct, no problem here and yes I can stop anytime I want. It's just building benches makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside .

ken

Very nice Ken. I was wondering of the attachment of the top to the leg assemblies. It would seem that considerable for could be applied to the top by your leg vise.
    Jim

Patrick, Ken's a no BS kinda guy. I'm sure he can stop any time.

(Looks great Ken and looking forward to seeing the next one).
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Hi Ken,

Quick question, and I may have asked it before, but can't remember. The question is, do you think that a standard type vise can be used on this bench, in place of the leg?

By the way, very nice job!

Regarding building too many benches: My name is Stew: I have too many handsaws........

Regards

Stew

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Very nice Ken. I was wondering of the attachment of the top to the leg assemblies. It would seem that considerable for could be applied to the top by your leg vise.
    Jim
    Jim,

I haven't used this style bench long enough to answer. It is based on a bench in the Old Salem museum that was well used and the leg takes some of the load, add in the pegs are White Oak so I'm not too concerned but.....

Good question,

ken

P.S. If the slab develops a problem over time because of repeated use and pressure of the leg vise, the fix should be easy. Plug the current peg holes and do new ones with larger pegs or even make a new slab (slabs are easy to make) depending on how severe the problem is. I hope I live and can still work long enough to answer the question with confidence .
    Last edited by ken hatch; 04-26-2018 at 6:15 AM. Reason: Add to answer

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Patrick, Ken's a no BS kinda guy. I'm sure he can stop any time.

(Looks great Ken and looking forward to seeing the next one).
    You tell 'em Chris .

Thanks, What I'm thinking about is something around 8 ft long, not designed to be portable but like the travel bench can be broken down for moving and is lighter than a Roubo. There are a couple more projects that need to be finished first but watch this space.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Hi Ken,

Quick question, and I may have asked it before, but can't remember. The question is, do you think that a standard type vise can be used on this bench, in place of the leg?

By the way, very nice job!

Regarding building too many benches: My name is Stew: I have too many handsaws........

Regards

Stew
    Stew,

Quick answer, yes. As you may know I've never been a big fan of leg vises because in my experience they can be a little fussy. This Lake Erie Toolworks screw may change my mind. It is very quick and smooth with really good holding power but before I get too gushy about it I want to live with the vise for awhile.

The reason this bench has a leg vise instead of my standard English metal QR is because of portability. The metal vise would need mounting to the slab vs. the leg vise doesn't need a permanent mount and it can be broken down into parts for moving.

Thanks, it was an enjoyable build.

ken

12. Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post

I can stop anytime I want......

ken
    Just one more....

Blog Entries
    Ohhhh - I want one of those! Come on, a portable workbench you can take anywhere – jobsite, outside on nice day, etc. who doesn't want one of those?

Ken, thanks for posting – I really enjoy your pictures and descriptions. Please excuse my ignorance – is there something I can search to see the previous parts of the build? Alternatively, if it's more convenient for you to email me something like rough dimensions/plans etc., I'm sure we can come to a mutually beneficial agreement perhaps involving good whiskey/hand saws/Mexican food.

Ken Hatch "Now comes the problem, where to put it. It is too good to just store in the Motorhome and only use on trips. I'm thinking I can move the assembly bench to under the wood storage and replace the assembly bench with the travel bench. Or I could give the assembly bench to MsBubba for her studio. What to do, what to do?"

My friend, we both know if you give the assembled bench to MsBubba for her studio, that ship will have sailed and you'll never see it again. Maybe not the worst outcome – you get to score points with the Boss and have a reason to build another bench. Hey, maybe I should be working on Middle East peace?

Cheers, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    Ohhhh - I want one of those! Come on, a portable workbench you can take anywhere – jobsite, outside on nice day, etc. who doesn't want one of those?

Ken, thanks for posting – I really enjoy your pictures and descriptions. Please excuse my ignorance – is there something I can search to see the previous parts of the build? Alternatively, if it's more convenient for you to email me something like rough dimensions/plans etc., I'm sure we can come to a mutually beneficial agreement perhaps involving good whiskey/hand saws/Mexican food.

Ken Hatch "Now comes the problem, where to put it. It is too good to just store in the Motorhome and only use on trips. I'm thinking I can move the assembly bench to under the wood storage and replace the assembly bench with the travel bench. Or I could give the assembly bench to MsBubba for her studio. What to do, what to do?"

My friend, we both know if you give the assembled bench to MsBubba for her studio, that ship will have sailed and you'll never see it again. Maybe not the worst outcome – you get to score points with the Boss and have a reason to build another bench. Hey, maybe I should be working on Middle East peace?

Cheers, Mike
    Mike,

It had long been my goal to make a useable portable workbench and many designs rumbled around my pea brain only to be rejected because of the "yes but" factor. A couple of years ago I stumbled over the Will Myers video on building "The Portable Moravian Workbench" (I think that's the name) sold by Popular Woodworking. I knew at first sight I had found the answer, all my "yes but's" were addressed. It was kinda like the moment MsBubba first showed up in the pilot's lounge in her B&C Aviation uniform of red pullover and black pants and like MsBubba it just gets better. Damn that was a tasty morsel but in answer to your request, no good whisky, hand saws or Mexican food required but sure would be enjoyed if you or I are ever in the same Zip Code, I kinda followed Will's build with some mods. Most of the mods were to insure the bench would fit the into the Motorhome's side bins. Here is the link to Will's build: https://www.shopwoodworking.com/buil...myers-download

ken

I can answer Stew's question about vises. I have a 10" Eclipse on the inside of the left leg. I tried it on the outside(of the leg) but it actually made the bench seem unstable. On the inside of the leg it is just the cat's PJ's. Of course mine is not and was not intended for portability. Mounting and dismounting a 40 pound vise could be a PITA.
    Last edited by Bob Leistner; 04-27-2018 at 7:33 AM.