Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wadkin PK. One of the best table saws gets to live another life

Wadkin PK. One of the best table saws gets to live another life

A Wadkin PK is like a fine wine. It’s got great body, 18” restriction, 5 hp respect, she’s a slider... weighing in at just over 1700 pounds. This is how I found her (a few years ago).
    799F8311-ACC0-4513-8109-983FFF17F5D7.jpg

She has been used and abused a little bit over the years but still in good condition. Missing a few things… As things happen with age. She is only a short stroke slider, but she is a patternmakers saw...

I guess it’s time to put her together after the long doctor visit.

Looking forward to seeing your rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Zara View Post
    Looking forward to seeing your rebuild.
    Me too!!!!!!!!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

That's awesome, I'd love to have one too!

Jack, your PK is hands down the most beautiful wood working machine i have ever seen.
    Care to show some pics again for those who have never seen it?

I havent used either saw, and most likely never will. With that said, i think the PK is aesthetically one of the best vintage machines out there. Frankly, I think aesthetics and nostalgia are the only reasons to own any machine from that era.

I have 8-10 table saws of various age and vintage and other than the benefits of a 10' new slider, I find myself always walking to the old saws for use. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my Rockwell 12-14 and it is tuned up to deliver a great cut. Still, there is an enjoyment to the old saws and the convenience of a short stroke sliding table that is hard to explain but if you use one, you know what I mean. I do not subscribe to nostalgia as being the only reason to own one. I have a harder time finding reasons for new ( SS technology excepted ) given the deals on old. I have a PK, Whitney 77, and Robinson ET/E. There are slight differences that account for individual preference but they are virtually equal and cause my Rockwell to sit unloved. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jack forsberg View Post
    You don’t have the saw buddy

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh6zdmnADIh/

Whoa.....that's nice!

B

Thanks for the pictures jack. A Robinson with the 52" table is my ideal. I wouldn't want the crosscut stuff but I'd take the machine in a heartbeat. DaveDSCN3544.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jack forsberg View Post
    I am not going to show my saw in this thread
    Come on Jack! Pull on your big pants. Give me something to aspire to! A PK is a PK. Show you’re little baby. You deserve it!!!

For a conversation piece, I don’t even care that this is my build thread...

I was thinking how I did it would be a fun read. I don’t mind side escapades. I’m even good with just carrying on my journey.

I’m just wondering, am I the only person on this journey???

I just do what I do for fun. Maybe not everybody has received fun OMM yet???
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 04-26-2018 at 12:35 AM.

How hard is it to find a PK like Matt's or Jack's, or any Wadkin slider for that matter? I've never seen one, but that could be because of where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mattingley View Post
    Come on Jack! Pull on your big pants. Give me something to aspire to! A PK is a PK. Show you’re little baby. You deserve it!!!

For a conversation piece, I don’t even care that this is my build thread...

I was thinking how I did it would be a fun read. I don’t mind side escapades. I’m even good with just carrying on my journey.

I’m just wondering, am I the only person on this journey???

I just do what I do for fun. Maybe not everybody has received fun OMM yet???
    Every day I'm getting closer to rebuilding mine. I can't wait! Since mine came from a school I'm hoping it's not too knackered, but I do have a parts machine if I need it. Can't wait to see yours Matt.

B

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    I havent used either saw, and most likely never will. With that said, i think the PK is aesthetically one of the best vintage machines out there. Frankly, I think aesthetics and nostalgia are the only reasons to own any machine from that era.
    Another reason though is cost in the context of capability. Jack's saw cost him $100 and a few days of sweat equity, and those deals are still available out there for people not afraid of having to rebuild. This is a dead nuts accurate, short stroke slider with riving knife and overhead guard, fully featured fence that's a dream to work with. Now don't tell us that the newer equivalent (if one exists) of this saw has modern features that this one doesn't......we all know that. But if you compare the costs of a new saw to something like this, you'd have to agree it's a pretty darn practical way of getting this capacity into a small, one person shop that doesn't have a huge budget.

Although cost is one issue. even at high prices, these old saws are worth it IMO. I have less than 1K in my Whitney and probably close to 5K in the Robinson with the PK falling in the middle. All are worth it. PK and Robinson are hard to find in US and slightly easier in Canada. the cost of transporting to US, buying a transformer ( most Canadian machines are 600v ) and rehabbing can take the price up to the level of a new PM but the result is still a slider that will run long after the PM is dead. Here in US, Tanny, Oliver, Whitney and Northfield are easier to find. PK are out there. Zayd here had a great 220v PK in pieces in the 2K range. It included the rare overhead and at least half the quadrant so it was a deal. You have to watch. Dave

Of course when I bought the machine it had a front tag that said it was 208 V. When I inspected the motor it said 220/440.
    It had a motor shop electrical sticker saying it was converted to 550. Inside the electrical box there was a 575 V coil contactor. When I took the motor to the motor shop and they tested it (it only had three leads coming out of the windings,) and came up with an ideal voltage of 468 V. I asked them to see if it was dual wound and got them to take off the back tape to bring out the second set of winding leads. It is now a dual voltage. 234/468 V. I gave the motor a little spit polish and a treat of a new set of double row self aligning bronze cage bearings. I gave the bearings a treat with LGLT 2 SKF.

I had to source the bearings all the way from Australia.

46249697-4E7F-4BCE-8270-A97CA043856F.jpeg90A94BEA-7264-4504-B666-33709B52B2BD.jpegDCC481FB-17CA-4BA1-ACD4-83AF3C9438ED.jpegCEA8B0B5-78BA-46E4-AB86-580DD481A743.jpg
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 04-26-2018 at 11:48 AM.