Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a used 5hp Sawstop?

I agree the SS industrial saw is better than the unisaw, but i just dont know if its THAT much better for me to go out an spend a day moving a heavy saw by myself(disassembling and reassembling), along with spending a grand on top of it. The unisaw is a good saw. The sawstop is probably slightly better built, slightly heavier, and has the technology, but those are a lot of "slightly's" for a lot of money and work. I wont talk you out of the upgrade, because it is an upgrade, but i will ask what the rest of your shop looks like. If you are rocking a 14" bandsaw, or a 6" jointer, then i would absolutely advise you to take that $1000 and put it in a jar on your shelf.

Its a can of worms, but i have a Felder KF700 and i routinely use my unisaw for ripping and dados. The felder can take a dado blade, but i dont feel like spending a grand on their slot cutter. Despite what everyone says, i hate ripping on my slider. I just dont do it. NA cabinet saws still have their place IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    I agree the SS industrial saw is better than the unisaw, but i just dont know if its THAT much better for me to go out an spend a day moving a heavy saw by myself(disassembling and reassembling), along with spending a grand on top of it. The unisaw is a good saw. The sawstop is probably slightly better built, slightly heavier, and has the technology, but those are a lot of "slightly's" for a lot of money and work. I wont talk you out of the upgrade, because it is an upgrade, but i will ask what the rest of your shop looks like. If you are rocking a 14" bandsaw, or a 6" jointer, then i would absolutely advise you to take that $1000 and put it in a jar on your shelf.

Its a can of worms, but i have a Felder KF700 and i routinely use my unisaw for ripping and dados. The felder can take a dado blade, but i dont feel like spending a grand on their slot cutter. Despite what everyone says, i hate ripping on my slider. I just dont do it. NA cabinet saws still have their place IMO.
    8" grizzly 4090x I found used and a used jet 14" bandsaw.

Before I got my PCS 3HP, I talked to a friend that had the ICS. His opinion was it was better than his Uni and wouldn't go back. When I picked up my Sawstop, I had a friend who mangled his thumb on a job site saw at home. Even with Medicare, he paid more than the cost of a Sawstop in payments. This was someone who had worked in the trades for 35 years. His thumb still hurts everyday as a reminder. Dan

Drove the 45min away to check it out and put a deposit down. Man did it sound good, hummed great when I turned it on. Was missing the riving knife and spare brakes but the seller has them packed up and in box and is moving 5 minutes from my house. If I don't have them Saturday when I go to pick it up I'll probably hold $200 until I get them.

Anyone think this mobile base will do? Currently the one I use for my Unisaw and was thinking about keeping it. The ICS mobile bases is $300

I'd be a little skeptical about that base working well. It might work but the Sawstop ICS base is REALLY NICE. I would buy mine again in a heartbeat. If you need to move yours often I would strongly recommend the Sawstop base.

I'm assuming your new one is an ICS (model number of older 1ph 5hp ICS is CB 51230). I don't have any experience with the PCS mobile base.
    Last edited by Roger Bull; 04-26-2018 at 2:27 AM.

SawStop ICS is a weighty puppy. Get their hydraulic base. It is light years ahead of that and worth every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Bull View Post

I'm assuming your new one is an ICS (model number of older 1ph 5hp ICS is CB 51230). I don't have any experience with the PCS mobile base.
    The standard PCS mobile base is not much different from other mobile bases and it works if there is a lot of room to maneuver. For tight spaces or for ease of operation, the upgraded PCS mobile base (ie, conversion kit for use with the ICS mobile base) is worth every cent of the money. For the ICS, the SS hydraulic mobile base is the only practical solution unless it is meant to be stationary. The monster is at least 400 pounds if my memory is right.

Simon

Blog Entries
    I have the ICS mobile base on my PCS & it is absolutely wonderful. It also has all 4 wheels that swivel, which in my cramped shop is very nice to have. As far as the fence goes, I went from a 52" to a 36" & haven't missed those 16" at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I don't understand why someone would have to wait a week to get up and running again. I accidentally tripped my brake (with my thumb) and I went to my local supplier and bought a new brake. I had extra blades so I was back up in maybe an hour. I now keep an extra brake in my shop so I could be up in 30 minutes or less.

And if I didn't have the SawStop, I'd have been a lot more than an hour in the ER and in recovery time.

As far as money goes, the cost of the brake and the blade was nothing compared to what my ER cost would have been.

Mike
    Another thing worth mentioning is that if you set off the brake due to skin contact, SawStop will replace the brake cartridge for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Irish View Post
    This would be replacing a 3hp 1999 Unisaw that I bought used on CL. I've added a sharkguard adjustable riving knife and the guard, never use the guard. It's also a 36" model. The adjustable riving knife is cool but a hassle to have to manually adjust it and make sure know to raise the blade and run it into the riving knife.

That said....

I'm going to look at a 5hp single phase Sawstop tomorrow evening. It's 12 years old. It is a 52" model so I'll need to cut down the rails OR store them and find a 36" rail set. Cheaper to cut them down likely.

I can sell my Unisaw for $1,000-$1,300 likely.

Getting it for $2,000.

Thoughts? Is it too old? I'm going to get shit from the fiance as we are in wedding planning mode but whatever can't pass the deal up.
    I made almost the exact same trade as you describe a couple of years ago - a 1990's vintage 3 hp Unisaw with a 52" fence plus $1,800 for a 12 year old 5 hp SawStop. In hindsight, I wouldn't make the trade again. Both saws perform equally well for standard operations. But switching back and forth between dados and standard cuts is a pain. The riving knife on the SawStop is better than the Biesmeyer splitter on the Unisaw, but the UniFence is a much nicer fence. I've had one unintended misfire on the SawStop when I didn't recalibrate the cartridge when changing blades. No accidents with either saw but I'm willing to accept the risk should I decide to switch back.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Turbett View Post
    But switching back and forth between dados and standard cuts is a pain.
    Just curious as to why it's a pain. The only difference I've notice between my old Jet contractor saw & the SawStop is that the brake cartridge needs to be swapped. But that only takes about 15 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by lee cox View Post
    The first time he trips the Sawstop by accident and has to spend all that money he will be wishing for his Unisaw. The other sad thing is he will lose his high dollar blade and he will have to wait a week or so before he is up and running again. So all work stops.
    Doubtful, more likely it will be a reminder to be safe. My advice, the riving knife is great and not in the way. The guard too is great. Keep them on whenever possible. When I got the ICS I did and now I use a riving knife and blade guard unless I'm not cutting through the stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Just curious as to why it's a pain. The only difference I've notice between my old Jet contractor saw & the SawStop is that the brake cartridge needs to be swapped. But that only takes about 15 seconds.
    Inconvenient would be a better word. The bottom line for me is that the SawStop's main feature of reducing the risk of injury isn't worth the $1,800 difference I paid. But I respect that is not the case for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post

Preach. I can't understand how that "sliders are safer" rubbish persist.The most dangerous cuts on a cabinet saw just get more awkward and dangerous on a slider.