Thread: Oak Burl Lidded Hollow Form

Oak Burl Lidded Hollow Form

I found this small burl and had it for a while. I decided to turn it making a hollow form. Since it was small I put it on pedestal (my first). The shape was kind of a product of the size. Materials are white oak burl, African Blackwood, ebony finial with lacquer finish. Overall height is 10" and 5" at the widest point. Finial is 4 1/4" tall. The finial is not as ideal as I wanted as I really struggle with a detail gouge. Need to get some help from a club member. Appreciate constructive criticism and also nice comments.

IMG_1126.jpgIMG_1127.jpgIMG_1128.jpg
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Sweet!!!
    Very delicate and beautiful finials and the burl is great too. They really compliment each other.
    Great job!

I don't think you will get much criticism. Beautiful piece.

Thank you Jon and Gary. I appreciate you taking the time to comment.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Wonderful piece.

William I think it looks really good. Finial could of been a little thinner IMO, but I have a hard time making them myself so i'm not the best one to critique you on that.
    Pretty piece of wood for sure!

Very nice Bill, great work! Roger

Thanks all. I appreciate the comments and suggestions. Daryl, I need to improve my detail gouge technique. I did make a Blackwood finial, but I thought it was too small for this piece. I only had a ebony blank and wanting to get it different I basically quit while I was ahead. I've broken a few in the past. I'll use the Blackwood finial on a smaller lidded box.

Very nice. Great work!
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author