Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which 23 gauge micro pinner?

The Ryobi also has dry fire lockout according to the description on line.

This is to follow up on my original post.

Not too long after I posted Tyler Tool had a reconditioned tool sale. I was able to pick up a reconditioned Senco 23SXP for $105. That is the 1-3/8" version. It has the dry fire lockout I was looking for but no depth of adjustment. I haven't used it a bunch but it is doing everything I need so far. I also picked up a reconditioned SLS25XP-L, which is the 1/4" x 1-1/2" stapler, at the same time for $150. That one replaced my original, 20ish YO SLS stapler that I could no longer get the right parts for. The new SLS has depth of drive adjustment that my old SLS didn't and is a very welcome feature.

What made me think of it is I just got an email from Tyler Tool this morning that they are offering some discounts on reconditioned tools. It's not a big discount but if someone were looking anyway they might save a few bucks. I am not affiliated with either Senco or Tyler but I have had good luck with both and I've had excellent experiences with buying and using these reconditioned tools. As one friend put it "...theoretically, they've already had their problem."

For a local item I picked up a hitachi np35a from Lowe’s on sale for $79 and it’s been great for the price for hobby use. Only uses up to 1 3/8” pins though. But if you need it now most are more likely to have a Lowe’s near by before a real woodworking store.

+1 to the Grex. Mine has been great.

Spent a number of hours earlier this year removing several nails in someone's heart from a nailgun. Amazingly survived it.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I have Hitachi's 23 ga pin nailer, use it occasionally as a home shop user does, and it works fine. It is a little touchy with needing the air pressure regulated just right to not overdrive or underdrive pins, but after you shoot a couple of pins into suitably-sized scrap to adjust it for what you are doing, it works well. I do most of my work in oak and I have the pressure at 80-100 psi depending on length of pin. My Bostitch 18 ga brad nailer on the other hand is much less sensitive to air pressure. 90 psi works for about anything with it.

@Alan Lightstone
    That does not sound like fun. I am guessing you are a trauma or CT surgeon if you spent several hours removing pneumatic nails from somebody's heart. It's amazing what can be done with enough blood, fluids, pressors, and such these days to keep people alive until the surgeons can get at them.

I have the Grex that will shoot 1 3/4" pins. It's picky on nails and will only shoot Grex pins reliably. Caused a lot of problems for me on a job where I needed longer than 1" pins which my Senco would shoot. About every 3rd nail wouldn't shoot and got stuck. Once I switched back to Grex pins it worked great.