Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which 23 gauge micro pinner?

Which 23 gauge micro pinner?

I'm looking into adding a micro pinner to my arsenal. I've narrowed it down to 1-3/8" maximum length, I really prefer dry fire lock out and I like good to top quality tools. I've come up with 3 pinners with those features, MAX NF235A/23-35, Cadex V1/23.35C and Senco 23SXP.

I'm partial to Senco and have been buying/using that brand for over 30 years. However, I know they went through some quality issues about the time they went bankrupt. I don't know what their current quality level is.

The MAX has adjustable depth of drive that the other two don't. How important is that?

Cadex is a brand that came along after I quit specing/buying tools on a regular basis so I nothing about them.

I'll be using this pinner on a broad range of wood densities from Pine, Poplar and Alder to hard Maple, Hickory and Jatoba (This variation in densities is what got me to wondering how important depth adjustment is.) and I'll be the only user.

Any comments on which brand (or other higher quality brands I may be missing), preferences, experiences are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

Best bang for the buck and in quality from my research was Omer brand nailers. Their 23 gauge is the B6.35 or B6.50.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Have you looked at Grex? I'm happy with mine.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I have a Grex and am extremely pleased with it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I know you're probably looking for a recommendation from someone who uses the nailer daily (and I don't), but I own a Grex and it has never failed. I use it only in my home woodworking shop; not for commercial cabinet or furniture making. However, I love it and it has operated smoothly and reliably for me. Also, depending on what you use it for, you might find a use for longer pins. My Grex does 2" and I have occasionally required that. Nothing worse than having a need for a 2" and not having the capability (at least for me).

Another vote for the Grex. I've never had any problems with mine.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I used to own only Senco everything up till about 15 years ago. Quality dipped, I experimented with Omer- broke the driver before 2 boxes of nails were shot, and it would jam up and not feed Omer brand nails.
    I then tried Cadex nails in the Omer, and it fixed the jamming issue, but eventually, I switched over to Cadex guns.
    The Cadex guns have run flawlessly since then.
    At one point, before the Cadex, I thought about the Grex, but the Cadex had more capacity and features.
    Satisfied Cadex owner.

Ive put 13,000+ 1.25" menards 23ga pins though my bosch 23ga pinner. Perfect. No jams. Good enough proof for me.

I have the Grex and it's worked well for me.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Another vote for Omer.

Max nailers were all made in Japan once and the build quality was excellent. They've since off-shored a lot of their production so the reviews all seem to be up and down now.

Watch out for Senco. I have some older stuff and it is great. Purposely bought some from a tools store that had been closed for a long time to get old inventory. Senco started turning to junk at least a decade ago. These had been in their warehouse longer than that. Some of their new tools are a step below Harbor Freight, who actually make a few decent tools of this type. Of course the quality on HF tools is variable due to poor QC so you can easily get 3 bad ones in a row.
    I had a Grex and it was wonderful. Bear in mind Grex simply rebadges other tools so don't assume other Grex tools are good. The Pxxx series of 23ga pinners are excellent. I gave it to my brother when I ended up with a matched set of Cadex tools and didn't need 2 23ga pinners.
    Max was great Japanese tools, now making more money living off their reputation and selling mainstream semi-OK tools at much lower prices. They are now half the price and half the tool.....
    When Bosch first introduced their air tools, I was at a Bosch event and got 18ga and 15ga for virtually nothing. Not very good tools. Don't think they had a 23ga at the time. I believe Mike's opinion and this is a perfect example of why you can't rely on all tools of a certain brand to be the same function.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 04-24-2018 at 4:59 PM.

+1 for Grex.

I have a Grex which I selected based on favorable web responses a few years ago. Light use but no issues.

Blog Entries
    Add me to the Grex list. That said, I’ve used Senco as well and was happy with it.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

It's also hard to "lose" a Grex in the shop given the bright green color.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...