Thread: Shaper tooling question

Shaper tooling question

I just bought a decent lot of about 30 insert cutterheads that I’ll be sorting through over the next few days. I’m sure more questions will follow, but for now I can’t figure out what these bushings/tool assemblies actually do. I’ve read their pdf, and I don’t understand how they work or why you would want to use them. I have four, and other than them taking a 40-45mm down to 1.25” bore, I don’t know why I would want to use them. Is this a common setup with bigger shops?

Finally, I seem to have matched sets of insert cutterheads where they are different bores. I know the profiles and counter profiles match exactly and they are the same manufacturer, but why would one have a 1.25” bore and another have 1.5”?

Apologize for all the questions, just trying to learn and figure out what to keep and what to sell/give away.

Spindles are different sizes on different machines. I have 1", 1 1/4", 40mm 1 1/2", 1 13/16 and 2 1/8".

Shapers, stickers and moulders. Sometimes I run the same heads on 3 different machines and need to bush down for the shaper.

Are you talking sleeves or reduction bushings?

European tooling mfgs usually put window and door tooling on sleeves stacking several individual tools on one sleeve. Many reasons for putting tools on sleeve - the cut is better with the tools staggered, profiles can be changed by changing out certain cutters and the head can be disassembled for cleaning or changing inserts. Also on profile - counterprofile sets the cutters can be adjusted with shims to get the fit you desire. The individual tools on sleeve are usually around 60 mm bore. This varies by mfg. then the sleeves are made to fit common bore sizes.

The tool in this picture is a Zuani inside sash profile on a sleeve off a angle window machine with 50mm shafts. I am using the tool on shaper to cut a curve door head using reduction bushings to fit my 40mm shaft on the shaper. I could also use it with the proper reduction bushings on my 30mm or 1.25 shaft. Or run the tool on a moulder with a 1.5 or 40mm shaft.
    EB905798-FFB4-4C15-A42D-F6D342963825.jpg
    FF6244D1-3944-409F-8AA1-6315788A56F6.jpg

Sorry, I was an idiot this morning and left off the critical link to the thing I was asking about. Yes, I would describe it more along the lines of a sleeve rather than a bushing. If it is a bushing, it’s a complex one. Thank you for the responses, I know some of you run this kind of stuff daily, so bear with me being a dummy for a bit.

http://www.etp.se/en/products/wood-w.../hydro-grip-ci

That's a type of hydra lock bushing/sleeve.
    My one moulder has hydralock heads.
    Basically, gives you perfect centering on the spindle.