Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Set saw teeth with a screwdriver

Blog Entries

Set saw teeth with a screwdriver

There is another string going about saw sets.

I don't remember who told about it. You put the saw in a vise and simply place a flat blade screwdriver between the first two teeth and twist.
    This sets one tooth to one side and the other to the opposite side. Then you skip to the next two teeth and repeat. You do this until all of the
    teeth are set. I have done this and it works. I also have about five saw sets including an antique Taintor set.

Google "Taintor saw set".

Frank Klaus does it in his Hand Tool DVD. He says it is for saws that have teeth too small for a regular saw set.

Blog Entries
    I remember now Frank Klaus did it. I had his DVD, but lost it when Hurricane Harvey came through.

Blog Entries
    There is another string going today about sharpening a handsaw.
    I brought this back to show about setting teeth with a screwdriver.
    It works!

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I brought this back to show about setting teeth with a screwdriver.
    It works!
    So? When are you going to show how to set teeth with a screwdriver?
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Blog Entries
    If you place a saw in a vise and place a small screwdriver between the first two teeth and twist,
    it will set one tooth towards you and the other away from you.

Then skip to the next set of teeth and repeat. You do this until all of the teeth are set.

Try it, it works.

I might have a saw, of sorts, that you can try..
    drill.jpg
    Has a metal frame. Unable to get the blade off, too small for my Wentworth No. 1 to hold onto...that screwdriver does work nicely in the saw nut slots...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike holden View Post
    So? When are you going to show how to set teeth with a screwdriver?
    Mike
    +1, Lowell I would love to see a couple pics of how to use a screwdriver to set smaller saw teeth. I've restored/sharpened lots of saws and recognize that setting small teeth (<12 PPI) is a real, honest-to-goodness challenge. Personally I have a 40x with filed down anvil for these saws , but I would welcome learning about another alternative.

Thanks, Mike

Blog Entries
    Hurricane Harvey flooded our house and I don't have picture making capability at time.
    If you will place a saw in a saw vice and insert a small screwdriver between the first two teeth and twist
    it will set one tooth to one side and the other tooth to the other. You skip to the next pair of teeth
    and repeat, continuing until you have set all of the teeth.

Try it, it is simple.

Blog Entries
    Mike, Hurricane Harvey claimed my camera, so pictures are not possible at this time.

But, just take an old saw, place it in a vise, and then take a very small screwdriver, put it between the first two teeth and twist.
    One tooth will set one way and the other will set the opposite way. Then move up the saw two teeth and repeat. Continue
    until your finished.

OBTW, I have five saw sets on my bench. I went through a period of buying old Disston saws, re-handling them, and sharpening.
    I have fifteen old saws hanging over my bench. I have a D-12 that came to me with out tote. It now has a curly maple tote, new teeth,
    and cuts like a banshee. It is a 10 tpi crosscut saw. The D-12 is supposed to be the best Disston ever.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 05-06-2018 at 9:59 AM.

I know of a fellow that cut notches into the side of an old "beater" chisel......and used that to set saw teeth with. Had a youtube video about making a frame saw.....and used the old chisel to set the new teeth with. He'd set one tooth, skip a tooth, then set the next one the other direction....and so on down the length of the blade...

as a thought experiment (having never set saw teeth with a screwdriver) it occurs to me that the teeth on one side of the saw would all be set from the front of the tooth and the teeth on the other side of the saw would be set from the back of the tooth. might make no difference anyhow, but it *sounds* unbalanced.

Blog Entries
    It is not unbalanced, try it.

I've never experienced unbalance, but if you do, you can correct it.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 05-07-2018 at 11:53 AM.

Blog Entries
    On the D-12, I should add for the full story, I took it to Circle Saw in Houston Texas and had it re-toothed. It is practically a new saw and it cuts like it.

Blog Entries
    Lowell, really appreciate your advice. I'm definitely going to give screwdriver setting a try.

Thanks, Mike