Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laguna DB12 (vertical sander) review request

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Laguna DB12 (vertical sander) review request

Ladies and gents,

I'm looking for a review of a Laguna DB12 vertical sander + sanding disc. I can't find much online.

I'm looking for a sander around the $1000 price range. I'm afraid of going Jet or Baleigh, but Laguna seems to be kept in high esteem. I don't want to pay the extra $500 for the Powermatic.

Thoughts on this machine?

Blog Entries
    Nobody owns this?

Here's a linky: https://lagunatools.com/classic-mach.../db126-sander/

I'd rather have one of these:
    6-89t-edge-sander.jpg

I agree with Mike. Combo disc belt sanders aren’t very useful IMO, both sanders too small, sold mine years ago and haven’t missed it. I’m hunting for an edge sander (preferably oscillating) currently.

Yep, same conclusion I came to when researching a disc/belt combo sander. Everything I read and everything people told me pointed to the combo sanders being a bit obsolete these days and an oscillating edge sander being the better way to go. So thats what I did and so far I havent felt I needed the combo.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

+4 I had a similar sized disk/belt combo and moved up to a Griz 1140 edge sander. Great machine and plan to upgrade again to a larger osc. edge sander. I never used the disk on the combo and the platen is too short as well.

Blog Entries
    Thanks!

I guess same question then... It seems people generally trust the Laguna brand more than one might trust Grizzly, Jet, Baleigh, etc.. Is this true? I'd like to get out of the group that people fear change badges, but are built in the same factory.

Usually Grizzly is top on my list if I can find the features I want for the price I am willing to pay. I tend to shy away from Laguna due to the horror stories about customer service. Whatever Jet has usually Grizzly has it for cheaper. With all that being said, I sold my Grizzly shaper and bough a Laguna due to the fence and couldn't be happier. I have not had to use customer service yet. I also don't think a belt disk combo is very useful. I bought Jet edge sander because they had the cheapest oscillating(a must if you ask me) one. I have been happy with it as well.

I really need a sander upgrade. Currently my only stationary sanders are a drum sander and a very small horizontal edge sander with an oscillating belt. But I've never used a higher-end sander and am unsure what I really need.

While there's something sexy about Laguna tools that I can't really identify, the Jet seems to have a bunch of features that look better on paper. For example, the Laguna has tiny dust ports--why? The Jet has a 4" port with a valve to service once side or the other. The base of the Laguna seems to be closed up completely? The Jet has storage. There was one other feature on the Jet that made me think "brilliant" and then I forgot what it was.

Why would you want to get out of that group? Buy the cheapest one (normally Grizzly) and you’ll have parts sources down the line for a long time.

I’ve never had a Laguna machine, but have heard many times over that their CS has been poor over the years. Not sure if that’s different now. I bet they’ll treat you well while you hand your money over, but CS starts when you have your first issue and need help.

Blog Entries
    I want to get out of the group because it's totally muddy what you are paying for. If you pay a bit more are you getting better quality control or not? Are you only literally getting a new paint job and different stickers, etc?

It's an endless debate. Everyone has an opinion, but it doesn't seem like anyone knows. I think I have the money to get away from that group entirely, but maybe I'm wrong. I was thinking a brand like Laguna looks like they are 'above' that group. I could be wrong. I've never really looked into their company before.

Blog Entries
    Looks like I definitely don't have the money to get out of the Chinese stuff if I go with an edge sander. This guy came up locally: https://www.ksl.com/classifieds/listing/51835777

That General looks pretty nice if you can run 15 hp

Eh, it's 1.5, not 15. Look at that little motor.

On the other hand, wonder what the HP is on this motor...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oakley-H5-3...oAAOSwnVhaMtM1

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    I was thinking a brand like Laguna looks like they are 'above' that group. I could be wrong. I've never really looked into their company before.
    Laguna has 2 different lines. One is Asian made and sold through retail outlets like Woodcraft, Rockler, etc. The other is not.