Thread: Pergola with 6X6 beams - strong enough?

Pergola with 6X6 beams - strong enough?

I am building a simple pergola that will have beams that span 12' in total and have knee braces reducing the span to 9'. I would like to use solid 6x6 cedar timbers for the beams. I will have 9' rafters that span 11' (with some over hang). The weight of the rafters should come in around 300lbs and each beam should be around 122lbs.

Below is pretty much the design. Before I visit my local engineer, wondering if you think 6x6 will be beefy enough.

fabulous-exterior-home-design-inspiration-expressing-gorgeous-pergola-roof-for-patio-combine-rav.jpg
    Last edited by jeff norris 2011; 04-23-2018 at 6:44 PM.

Blog Entries
    I would think that a 6 x 6 should be adequate for the load and span. You can always check here Maximum Span Calculator or try the Sagulator, which says wit a total weight of 400 pounds you beam will sage less than 1/16" without the knee braces.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Solid as. Your engineer will be happy. Cheers

I ran it by an engineer I know by phone- he laughed (in a good way). I guess it is overkill for the design..

Permits department also said no permit needed.

The nearly-same pergolas at Sam's Club use 6x6 cedar. My best friend's neighbor has a similar one, also 6x6 (painted, so no idea what the wood is).