Thread: Ring keepers

Ring keepers

A couple of ring keepers, Bob Rosand inspired.

I gave the one on the right to a teen girl named Olivia who helps with my kindergarten SS class. It's made of olive wood, one meaning of the name Olivia. She had never seen or even heard of olive wood. She was so excited and said it was the best thing anyone had ever given her!

"Danish" oil finish, the tip is transparent blue acrylic, the first acrylic I've used on one of these. It works like a lens and refracts the background for an eye-catching effect. (If you haven't turned acrylic, it's cuts easily and polishes nicely. Use "cast" acrylic rod - if you live close and want a piece to try drop by for a visit.)

The other one is dogwood and bloodwood.

This is a quick and easy project that is very much appreciated by those who wear rings and remove them at times - make great Christmas presents. My Lovely Bride keeps one at her makeup "station" and another near the sink in the kitchen. I hold a 2" or so block in a chuck, part off, then wrap something soft around the shaft to hold in long-nosed jaws to clean up the bottom. Be sure not to make the tip or shaft too big for smaller rings - I think I make them about 1/2" diameter.

Here are a few others from at least 10 years ago when I was experimenting with shapes and proportions. I like the taller, more slender shapes a little better. I use a dense wood species so the base is heavy for stability.

ring_keepers_JKJ.jpg

JKJ

These are a beautiful great gift idea! Thanks for the idea and inspiration!
    Last edited by Nick Schepis; 04-23-2018 at 9:02 PM.

That's a great idea for the ladies in my life ( wife, daughter, granddaughters and daughter-in-law ).

Jay Mullins

Very nice John

Very nice and simple John! In the added photo is the second one from the left a box?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    Very nice and simple John! In the added photo is the second one from the left a box?

No, it's solid osage orange. But building a box into one is a great idea!

JKJ

Never heard of them.... showed your picture to my wife & daughter...
    They loved them, said what a great idea...

Guess what my next turning project(s) will be???

Ring keeper box

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    No, it's solid osage orange. But building a box into one is a great idea!
    Mike,

I have the memory of a rusty spring. I was flipping through a turning sketchbook today and found some ring keeper shape ideas from 2008. It appears I already thought of making a box! (I really need to look through my notes more often...)

I might try one somewhat like the lower right, a ring keeper hidden inside a ring keeper, perhaps with a pearl on top. Maybe the inside one would be good for storing special-occasion rings. A necklace or something might fit in the bottom. I'll make some more sketches first, full scale to see if it makes sense.

Ring_keeper_sketches_2008.jpg

Ed and others, If you make some post some photos! It might make a simple little club demo for a month or so before Christmas. A lot of people may not have seen these - might make a nice little club demo for someone.

The dimensions from my notes are about 4" tall, about 2.5" diameter, maximum of 1/2" on the vertical part and flame to make sure even small rings will fit.

JKJ