Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saw Sets

Saw Sets

Hi -

At the risk of starting a stampede, the Japanese factory that made Somax saw sets has apparently gone out of business. Of course, there is always the used/antique market. I don't suspect they will be easy to replace....

Cheers -

Rob

Glad I have my 42X.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    I'm guessing that Lee Valley have them to sell.

Rob, I think you should consider reproducing the venerable Stanley 42x saw set. I asked Tom LN if they would and he declined due to the complicated casting. I don't think it is really that difficult a casting.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Blog Entries
    If Rob doesn't, you will have to learn to do a screw driver set. I have five saw sets. I don't know why, I just do.

I already have several sets including at least 3 #42x. Sure wouldn't mind a nice Veritas version though. And I have a pair of Somax as well. And a few others too. And at least 5 saw vises. I can quit anytime-really. ;-)
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

I have one saw set ( Millers Falls #214) and one saw vise ( Wentworth No. 1) should be enough for what I do.....5-7ppi.

Blog Entries
    The Stanley #42X had an extra pin available for smaller teeth. Try finding one. One of mine was filed for the job.

My first saw vise needed a wedge to hold the jaws closed due to wear on the casting. My second saw set was better looks like a copy of a Disston #1. The jaws do not work and saws being sharpened make a terrible racket. Attempts at dampening have been a slight improvement.

Finally with a little extra $$$ from selling our California home SWMBO said it was okay to buy a Gramercy Saw Vise. Working on a mount for it is my current project. Next will be sharpening a bunch of saws.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I've had the Gramercy saw vise for several years now Jim. I mounted it on a piece of scrap wood such that it clamps into a bench vise. I mount or remove it as needed.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    I've had the Gramercy saw vise for several years now Jim. I mounted it on a piece of scrap wood such that it clamps into a bench vise. I mount or remove it as needed.
    That is what is being worked on currently. My plan was to have two tenons through a piece of 2X8 with a shallow slot for a mating piece of 2X8. All was going well until while working on the mortise the piece split down the middle.

Back to the drawing board and cutting a slot in another piece to hold it all together with some big #12 by 3" wood screws that are hanging around waiting to be used.

May even try some pocket hole screws to hold it together from both sides.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My gramercy is screwed to a 2x8 which gets held to my bench leg and apron with two f clamps. Not the most elegant but was quick and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I'm guessing that Lee Valley have them to sell.
    Yup - we do....but will have no problem selling them out. Just letting people here know that if there's an interest in new or old saw sets - the new ones will no longer be available, and the price of antiques is likely to increase.

Cheers -

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Don Orr View Post
    Rob, I think you should consider reproducing the venerable Stanley 42x saw set. I asked Tom LN if they would and he declined due to the complicated casting. I don't think it is really that difficult a casting.
    Hi -

We'll likely take a look at it.... but Tom's right.... not a lot of fun to make for the likely sales volume. Lots of tooling in there....

Cheers -

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    The Stanley #42X had an extra pin available for smaller teeth. Try finding one. One of mine was filed for the job.

My first saw vise needed a wedge to hold the jaws closed due to wear on the casting. My second saw set was better looks like a copy of a Disston #1. The jaws do not work and saws being sharpened make a terrible racket. Attempts at dampening have been a slight improvement.

Finally with a little extra $$$ from selling our California home SWMBO said it was okay to buy a Gramercy Saw Vise. Working on a mount for it is my current project. Next will be sharpening a bunch of saws.

jtk
    Now I know why I shouldn't have sold my spare.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    I'm sure the price will rise and why not.