Thread: Peace at Last

Peace at Last

We all have heard of cowboy poetry. How about workshop poetry as well? I hope you enjoy it.

The Ergonoiac* Finds Peace at Last
    by Doug Hepler © 2018

A week ago last Tuesday, I was with my friend Jerome
    And we spoke about our interests in wood.
    He has a little workshop adjacent to his home
    And I said I’d like to see it -- if I could.

He replied he’d be delighted, so he took me to his shop,
    And opened up the solid steel plate door.
    And the scene that lay before me, almost caused my breath to stop,
    Like nothing I had ever seen before.

Rows and ranks of chisels, and maybe ninety planes,
    Standing at attention two by two,
    And saws of all descriptions, Pax and every famous name
    The finest rasps and rifflers, hand stitched by Ariou

Levels and bevels and try squares galore
    Benches of maple and fine Swedish beech
    No wonder he uses a solid steel door
    Putting these treasures far beyond reach.

I said that jealous envy might just turn my eyes to green.
    I’d truly love to work with such fine gear.
    He frowned as if my comment was off color or obscene
    An expression unexpected, that I found a little queer.

I said that my grandfather, who earned his bread with wood
    Might risk a term in jail for such as these.
    He’d be overjoyed to use them, if he only could
    There’d be no question whether he’d be pleased

Was it terribly confusing, given such a wide supply
    Which tool he should be choosing, to cut and trim and such?
    And then that same expression returned into his eye
    He said, he didn’t use them very much.

His comment was surprising,
    My wonder it did irk
    My question quickly rising
    How did he do his work?

“One must employ the proper tool, for ev’ry operation.
    I demand a tool to fully please myself.
    It is the tool that makes the man, I make this affirmation!
    If they displease me, I put them on the shelf.”

“My friends have told me, ‘Jerry, its you who guides the tool’
    I’ve decided that for some, this may be true.
    Perhaps my search has been in vain, perhaps I’ve been a fool
    But I don’t have time to follow such a rule.”

“They told me I must sharpen each new tool right from the box.
    I tried that out, although it’s not my style.
    And so I bought a Tormek and a bunch of fancy rocks.
    I ground and gnashed and polished for a while.”

“I bought a little meter, with which I hoped to learn
    How much weight it took to cut a bit of thread.
    If there was any difference, I sure could not discern
    I might as well have shaved my arm instead.”

“I’ve tried these all, and each has failed to satisfy my need
    But I finally found the tool that will cut clean.
    I was searching the wrong catalogues, of that I will concede
    I’m delighted with my brand new tool, the coolest that I’ve seen
    And there it is, my pride and joy, a CNC machine.”
    *Ergonoiac: An ergonoiac is a tool brain or tool head. I coined this as a mock-medical name for a person who is under the delusion that expensive tools can substitute for craftsmanship or is simply obsessed with tools rather than making things. Ergonoia is a severe case of ergophilia, which is love of tools. Ergophilia is normal, because I have it (and so do you). The diagnostic question for ergonoia is “You must have $40,000 worth of tools in here.” The diagnostic response is, “Yes, thank you.”

Blog Entries
    Nice peace Doug.

The diagnostic question for ergonoia is “You must have $40,000 worth of tools in here.” The diagnostic response is, “Yes, thank you.”
    Would that be actual purchase price or what hacks on ebay have listed with "Buy It Now" pricing?

Yes, thank you, my diagnosis might depend on it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I enjoyed that piece. Well done, sir.
    -Lud

Well done Doug.

I enjoyed it and loved the surprise ending. I didn't see that coming.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

What timing Doug! After pondering buying the Grizzly slow speed grinder for days, last night I on the spur of the moment bought it because it was the anniversary edition on sale with 10% off. Woopdeedoo.
    This morning I awoke and wondered why I bought it as I am 62 and will only have to et rid of it in so many years. Regret, regret.
    Then I read your poem.

How refreshing when the woodworking hype these days is all about consumerism (over $100 for a small steel rule; $300 (?) for a coping saw; $80 for just the handle of a saw; etc). And there are many adult believers that fancy and expensive tools will make them a better woodworker!

Simon

Blog Entries
    This morning I awoke and wondered why I bought it as I am 62 and will only have to et rid of it in so many years. Regret, regret.
    At 67, my plan is to train some of my grandchildren in the ways of woodworking and the one that takes to it gets to take care of all my tools.

Otherwise they all will get to sort it out when the time comes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by michael langman View Post
    What timing Doug! After pondering buying the Grizzly slow speed grinder for days, last night I on the spur of the moment bought it because it was the anniversary edition on sale with 10% off. Woopdeedoo.
    Then I read your poem.
    Don't blame yourself. The powerful marketing machinery is working all the time to break down our defense.

Many people have fallen for the so-called "one time tools" even though the same tools are produced again and again, and the only difference may be the price.

I enjoy buying and using tools...with a very good plan to sell them in phases, to ensure they are properly disposed of by the time my woodworking is no longer an interest for me. What if I kicked the bucket without warning? No worry...the tools are peanuts compared to my life insurance coverage and my family could easily afford to give away all my tools for nothing!

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by michael langman View Post
    Then I read your poem.
    I'm sneaking up on 76 and still getting pretty good use out of my bench grinder; I hope for another 4 or 5 years if everything goes well, although at a somewhat slowed pace. If you say your prayers every night, you may be able to stretch for a couple more years yourself.

Otherwise, we may to coin a new term and commission a poem for you. Doug should have at least one more in him.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Thanks for the encouragement and ideas Jim, Simon and James.

I do have a nephew in law that is into wood working Jim. I'll think of him when the time comes. Nice idea.

It's hard not to blame myself Simon. I thought I could actually make more time for myself by having a wet wheel to grind in the primary angles on my chisels and planes. I also want to make several marking tools and finish them on the wet wheel. As I get older and it takes longer to do the things that are necessary, the shop time becomes less and less.

James, I take my hat off to you. I intend to keep planning, and making, and doing things with my hands until my final days God willing. Thanks for the encouragement.

Doug, I forgot to mention how much I liked your poem. You have a talent with words. Keep writing.

Doug, that is pretty serious work for this venue. Had to read it twice to get all the subtleties!

Great stuff Doug!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”