Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's spring time in Idaho

Believe me Mark. It's not the same! Downtown the elevation is IIRC 650' above sea level. You climb 2,000' in elevation any way you leave town eventually. Thus Lewiston, ID is referred to as "the Banana Belt". A lot of ranchers/farmers from the higher elevation prairies nearby retire to Lewiston as our winters are much milder than the surrounding areas.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Believe me Mark. It's not the same! Downtown the elevation is IIRC 650' above sea level. You climb 2,000' in elevation any way you leave town eventually. Thus Lewiston, ID is referred to as "the Banana Belt". A lot of ranchers/farmers from the higher elevation prairies nearby retire to Lewiston as our winters are much milder than the surrounding areas.
    I'm in Florida:

Britton Hill is the highest natural point in the state of Florida, United States, with a summit elevation of 345 feet (105 m) above mean sea level. Britton Hill is the lowest state highpoint in the United States,[3] 103 feet (31 m) lower than the next lowest highpoint, Ebright Azimuthin Delaware.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Blog Entries
    It's spring in Galveston County Texas as well, but the scenery does not compare.

I spent a summer working on a dairy ranch just North of Preston Idaho when I was a kid. It was awesome. Went to HS in Missoula, moved to Kalispell after, then back to school at MS in Missoula. Have lived all over and that section of the country is just awesome. Still, I was always drawn to all the fresh water in upper Michigan.

Nice picture Ken.

Hi Ken,

I live just up the hill from you in Moscow. I was down in Lewiston over the weekend, doing some shopping and having dinner at Fazarri's in Clarkston. My girlfriend's daughter lives in Lewiston, as does a good friend of my from high school.

That's interesting about Britton Hill being the highest point in Florida, as there is no point in Idaho that is that low. I think Lewiston is the lowest in the state. Just a ways south of Lewiston, along the Snake River, is Hell's Canyon, which is nearly 8,000 feet deep, the deepest river gorge in North America.

Derek

Hi Derek,

Lewiston is IIRC the lowest point in Idaho. We have jet boated in Hell's Canyon several times. I have camped there with a group of Boys Scouts.

If I need hardwoods and don't feel like driving to Spokane, I shop for hardwoods at Moscow Building Supply out on the north edge of town. Sometimes I do drive to Spokane for hardwoods.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....