Thread: 1963 Jose Ramirez d string snapping all the time

1963 Jose Ramirez d string snapping all the time

I have a 1963 Jose Ramirez concert guitar I played for 10 years. Now the d string pops soon after a new one is put on. Is there a remedy, or is this guitar dead?

Does the break always happen in the same place? If so, where? Nut or saddle? Either way, the problem can easily be fixed.

As hinted at,make sure there are no real sharp edges on the nut or the bridge saddle. Your expensive guitar is not dead. If all else fails,you can use a lighter gauge set of strings. They are under less string tension when at concert pitch.

However,any guitar should be perfectly able to not have strings break if the surfaces they bear against are properly rounded over a bit.

Another thing to consider is whether or not the strings you keep replacing were from the same batch at the manufacturer. Try a different brand.

Kenneth, try asking over at the Acoustic Guitar Forum. They have a classical section with a bunch of dealers and repair experts that can reply.

Sometimes they'll break at the tuner as well. Again something sharp is most likely. They also make a lubricant, some use graphite or even chapstick at the nut which can help.
    Last edited by Steve Middleton; 10-01-2018 at 7:23 AM.

I have been building classical and flamenco guitars since 1959. Other guitars since 1954. Most haven't been at it that long on other fora. The correct info given here covers the subject pretty well.