Thread: Build a homemade 3 phase rotary converter

Build a homemade 3 phase rotary converter

Simple 1 hp converter. I will try to answer any questions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

When I built my neighbor's about 10 years ago, we used a Herbush gas dryer motor for pony motor. The dryer motor has a terminal, which when motor reaches speed, voltage appears. We used this voltage to pull in relay to furnish 220 to 3 phase idler. The whole thing operates on a magnetic relay. Close 220 disconnect, push button and magically 3 phase appears. In case of power loss, magnetic switch shuts everything down. Look at price of a "Phase O Mattic, or Kay, " vs what you paid for your parts. AMAZING!
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 04-22-2018 at 9:56 PM.

I built my 5HP RPC about 5 years ago using a Bruce Norton design RPC.
    BruceNortons5HPRPC.jpg
    Plans are available on the web, Or from Bruce Norton "toolnut" on Practical Machinist.

I don't believe they still make the Steveco 90-66 potential relay that's used in Bruce's design, But I would imagine someone has found a good replacement for it.

Here's a couple of pictures of my RPC.

Doug

Just got two off E-bay...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Beitz View Post
    Just got two off E-bay...
    Looks like that's a 90-65 relay!
    Just a step below the ratings of the 90-66 that has a pick-up range of 208V ~ 239V & a drop-out voltage of around 130V. Also the 90-66 relays have contacts rated at 50 amps!
    A lot of the replacements for the 90-66 like Parker, Mars, & JARD, are only ratted at 35 amps.

Doug