Thread: Any advice for a new turner?

1. Any advice for a new turner?

My first lathe comes home tomorrow. Jet 1221 vs
    pen kit and chuck are already here. PSI chisels are enroute.

Im watching YouTube videos and reading all I can

what do y’all do for pen blanks? I’ve got plenty of scraps to make my own. Brazilian cherry and walnut will probably be the first used.

What are great starter projects?

* safety lesson from an experienced turner
    * turn spindles from scrap
    * pens are good beginner projects

Ggreat starter project include pens (of course), bottle stoppers, small boxes. Ornaments can range from easy (snowman) to very complex (long narrow pendants). Goblets are a good transition from spindle to bowl techniques. but as said, find a club near you and get some one-on-one training. The AAW has a club-finder to find a club near you.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

There are a billion projects. You don't say what kind of tools you are getting from Pen state. If they are cutting tools go to my videos to learn how to sharpen and cut with them. If they are scrapers forget all this and just learn how to sand well. I do have a video showing the use of the Hunter Osprey where I turn a pen with it. If you go to youtube and type in john60lucas you will find my videos. Here is the one on using the Hunter Osprey.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnFdDo0jxGU

“Starter projects” probably wouldn’t be my advise to a new turner. I agree on joining a club and/or finding a mentor to learn the basics - safety, sharpening and tool presentation. But, I think too many folks get caught up in making certain items when the reality is that turning is all about curves. Beads and coves and variations of both. One will never produce appealing work without learning proper tool control and the nuances of forming smooth, flowing curves - regardless of what you turn. Making pens won’t provide that. My advice is to study classic forms and architecture and concentrate on acquiring and developing the ability to consistently form those curves until they become second nature to you. Nothing short of practice and piles of shavings will do that for you. Put a piece of spindle stock on the lathe and create various bead and cove shapes, wipe them off and do it again and again until the stock is too small to turn. Then, do it again. You will develop tool control and train your body to make the right movements. Then, you have the skills to turn whatever you desire to turn.

Left click my name for homepage link.

I'm with John K.
    +++ Safety (including proper breathing protection), Sharpening and Tool presentation.
    - I don't want to admit to how many close calls it took me to learn proper safety
    - Learn about proper breathing and eye protection and get into the habit of using them.
    - Don't do like I did and end up spending $$$ on different sharpening systems until you finally find one that works for you
    - Some great tutorials out there on tool presentation.
    +++ Study of the architecture (curves and shapes) of turned pieces.
    - It's frustrating to put time and $$ into a project and then find that no mater how beautiful the wood and the quality of the finish, that it just doesn't have the right shape.
    - We've all heard of "curb appeal" for homes....well, this is the same idea!
    +++ Get into a club or find a knowledgeable mentor

Have fun!!

7. Give your credit card(s) to your wife and turn off "one-click" purchasing from Amazon.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Schoenleber View Post
    Give your credit card(s) to your wife and turn off "one-click" purchasing from Amazon.

Now I know I’m being watched