Thread: Finish for dish drying rack

Finish for dish drying rack

Anyone make a wooden dish drying rack and finish it with a paraffin and mineral oil finish? My other option is to leave it bare. It’s cherry. Just wondering how well it will hold up.

Thanks, Dan

Items like this are best made from a durable timber that doesn't require finishing. For me here in Tasmania that means Huon pine or celerytop pine as both of these are almost indestructible to water and chemicals. Research a species available to you that will do the same job. I don't recommend paraffin or mineral oils for food contact. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Wayne - I agree with you. No finish will survive the constant exposure to water and possibly soap. Wax and mineral oil will need replenishing every week, probably. My main recommendation follows Wayne's - use a wood that can stand this environment without a finish - something like Ipe or Cumaru would be good choices. But it sounds like you already have the dish drying rack built out of Cherry. If that is the case, then I would recommend finishing the bare wood with a Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer (CPES). There are several brands out there. This will soak into the wood and provide a barrier to water penetration. Then you can finish with any reliable top coat - understanding that you'll probably need to sand it down an refinish it every few months.